DFO wants your feedback

T

tofinofish

DFO wants your feedback regarding the proposed Mainstream Canada Mega Farm proposal in Clayoquot Sound.
It is complete lunacy that this proposal is still on the table considering the recent disclosure of ISA and HSMI in Clayoquot Farmed Salmon, but they are asking for our feedback from the Rec sector.
Today was not the only response I have written to this proposal, but hopefully the last!...

Some basics that I included but definitley not limited to;

"To deny the application for Mainstream Canada’s expansion to Plover Point would be the absolute best decision for the future of Clayoquot Sound Wild Salmon and other Marine life, as well as Tofino’s Citizens, Businesses, Tourism and health of the local environment. To approve this application would go directly against the mandate of DFO;
• Safe and Accessible Waterways;
• Healthy and Productive Aquatic Ecosystems; and
• Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture.

“In working toward these outcomes, the Department will be guided by the principles of sound scientific knowledge and effective management.”
With recent proof “scientific knowledge” that ISA and HSMI exists in Clayoquot Sound farmed Salmon, and is a proven serious threat to Wild Salmon stocks, how would the approval of this application be even remotely considered “effective management” ? If approved, this proposal would be in direct contravention to the outlined DFO mandate, not to mention complete lunacy at this point of knowledge regarding negative impacts."

Please direct your responses to your local SFAC chairman who can forward to Bill Shaw and Brenda McCorquodale

The e-mail request came as follows:

Hello all

Bernie Taekema has asked me to contact you with respect to a review that is currently being undertaken on the Plover Point marine finfish aquaculture licence application in Clayoquot Sound. If we have not asked everyone within DFO that we should be in contact with can you please let me know.
We are looking for any input that you might have on possible impacts of a Plover Point Marine Finfish Aquaculture licence on aboriginal, commercial, or recreational fisheries. If you have any expert input that you could provide us on this issue we would appreciate receiving it by January 20, 2012.
Here is a map with the location of the site.
http://www.arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/getfile.jsp?PostID=21805&FileID=31235&action=view
There is still a website that the province hosted for the tenure application which is active that has additional information.
http://www.arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=21805

Brenda
Brenda McCorquodale
Senior Aquaculture Management Coordinator,
Fisheries Management, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Coordinatrice sénior - Gestion de l'aquaculture
Direction des pêches, Pêches et Océans Canada
Designated Senior Officer - Port Hardy
8585 Wollason Street, P.O. Box 10, Port Hardy, B.C., V0N 2P0
t. (250) 949-6434 f. (250) 949-6755 e. Brenda.McCorquodale@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Thanks Tofinofish..
I am forwarding via email your post to many people I know that will get on board and stop this abuse of our waters!

Yes, thanks, T-fish! All good points you make in your comments. This must be stopped. But I wonder why you say send comments to SFAC? Why not send directly to DFO and cc Bill?
Ditto, I-girl. I will circulate widely as well and intend to post some details here as soon as I can round them up for folks to include in their comments.

Yes, thanks, T-fish! All good points you make in your comments. This must be stopped. But I wonder why you say send comments to SFAC? Why not send directly to DFO and cc Bill?
Ditto, I-girl. I will circulate widely as well and intend to post some details here as soon as I can round them up for folks to include in their comments.

Cuttlefish,
Sending directly is an option, but they "requested" feedback from SFAC members, so the process of getting your local SFAC chair to gather and submit responses will hopefully help get the attention/credibility they deserve.

Thanks to all who respond and don't forget that these Clayoquot issues effect all of WCVI and beyond.

[h=1]Ahousaht confident ISA virus fears unfounded[/h]http://www.canada.com/Ahousaht+confident+virus+fears+unfounded/5983896/story.html

Westerly NewsJanuary 12, 2012

Dear Editor,
The Ahousaht First Nation keeps a close watch on what goes on in our territory and we are confident there is no need to fear the Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) virus is in Ahousaht traditional waters.
We, the Ha'wiih, have worked for centuries to maintain our resources, and will continue to practice our cultural ways of maintaining our lands and resources with the utmost respect for the environment and mother earth.
We have made it clear that companies will follow our protocols to ensure that the environmental impact will be respected and have entrusted the Ahousaht Fish Farm Committee to continue the implementation of the protocols as is their mandate from the Ahousaht Ha'wiih.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Fisheries and Oceans Canada announced December 2 that after an extensive investigation, they found no evidence that ISA was in B.C. farmed or wild salmon.
We are confident their announcement is based on good science and a thorough investigation.
Ahousaht will continue to stay informed about this situation.
Wally Samuel and the Ahousaht Fish Farm Committee will work with the appropriate parties and will provide input to make sure the wild salmon will stay healthy, providing for generations to come.
Keith (Kiista) Atleo, Ahousat

Wonder why he would make such a statement when clearly science say's there is and the politician are covering up.
Perhaps he wants more fish farms in his traditional lands. Wait a minute I think he does.
In fact if you read some of the other links and open the PDF files you will find they are partners.
As all good partners there is give and take. If you know what a section 35 is you will see the deal.
FN gives up 5 salmon producing creeks for a gravel dump in a river and a haul out of some wrecked boats.
Give and take, give up the wild salmon for you and your children and take the money and run.
In case you didn't read what they want to raise for fish it's Atlantic and Chinook Salmon.
Just another case of hare brain leaders with their eye on money now at any price.
A term comes to mind ... "kicking the can down the road"
It refers to spending now and letting your children pay the bills.
Or in this case selling out now and letting your children clean up your mess.
Sad we have "leaders" like this.
GLG

You are so right there GLG. What a big stinking pile of Norwegian propaganda that release is. I can only wonder what they paid the band leaders to agree to that release. Totally discusting. eman

You are so right there GLG. What a big stinking pile of Norwegian propaganda that release is. I can only wonder what they paid the band leaders to agree to that release. Totally discusting. eman

You guys get it....

Here's some feedback for DFO.

johnny_cash.jpg

Pass it along

Thanks for alerting us to this application. E-mail sent to Brenda:

Brenda,

I'm writing to express our concerns regarding the above noted application. It is our view that further expansion of any Salmon Farming in Clayoquot Sound will have a long term detrimental affect on wild salmon. We are especially concerned that this application if successful will introduce potentially harmful diseases such as ISA into our waterways.

Our hope is that DFO will deny this application upholding their fiduciary duty to protect wild salmon.

Thank you for considering our input to this process.

Thanks for posting this TF, and btw WELL SAID!

13 salmon farms in there right now with an agreement for three more.
So this must be the first one in there plan between FN inc and feed lot fish farmers.
Sad day for the children of Canada.
GLG

Look at Exhibit #1595 from Cohen Commission, http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Exhibits.php?num=16.
DFO committed to not licensing any new marine finfish aquaculture sites until after the Commissioner releases his findings and recommendations.
Nonetheless, a special exemption for this site because it is supposed to be a "replacement" for another site. The site this application is supposed to replace is Mainstream’s Cormorant site, one that has only been stocked for four months out of the last 48; http://www.mainstreamcanada.ca/yearview/67. Also on their website Mainstream says that they will turn over the Cormorant site to the Ahousaht to use as an aquaculture operation as they see fit. Hardly my definition of a "replacement" but easier to understand the band’s support.

Look at Exhibit #1589 on the same webpage; http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Exhibits.php?num=16.
Look at the second siting criteria on page 5. In the application the stream survey identified Rollingstone Creek as a salmon bearing stream and is less than 1 kilometer from the tenure boundary of the application. Considering the state of wild salmon stocks in Clayoquot Sound one would think that DFO would consider every salmon bearing stream to be “significant”.
Look also at sub-section 3.3 on page 12 of the same form. There is no information in the application about beach seine surveying for juvenile wild salmon. Was this survey work done and if so, what are the results? One would think that this type of survey work would have to be conducted for multiple years in order to get a statistically defensible dataset. One would also think that this type of survey would have to be conducted for a longer period than just the March-July outmigration period to ensure any “quantitative assessment” of "migrating smolts" includes any resident stocks.
I am still rounding up more issues and will be including these in my comments to Brenda. I share these now in the hope that others will also include them in their comments.

"Wally Samuel and the Ahousaht Fish Farm Committee will work with the appropriate parties and will provide input to make sure the wild salmon will stay healthy, providing for generations to come.
Keith (Kiista) Atleo, Ahousat"

Kinda sounds like the fox watching the hen house to me.

Tofinofish,
Don't know if you saw this notice earlier; http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2011/2011-12-03/html/misc-divers-eng.html#g105 ?
It's a little after the fact now to make comment there, but people can still comment to Transport Canada through the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry here; http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/details-eng.cfm?evaluation=64017 .

The TC input process was not something the Gov't emphasised, but the original Mainstream application was transparent through public notice and open house forum. I responded to all levels of Gov't on the original proposal.
The proposal is to have the Mega Farm extend half way across Fortune Channel off of Plover Point......I'd say it would effect navigation.

Back