DFO IFM Plan 2021/22 For Review

the hatchery fish retention thing sounds awesome in theory but here in CR i think my boat has brought in two hatchery fish in three seasons and one of those was an undersized coho. just not a common thing to see in our waters up here.
Look at the table. I believe that CR is 1 MSF or 1 wild under 80.

Excuse my ignorance, would you be allow to catch and release the hump in May. Or is it no lines period.

Excuse my ignorance, would you be allow to catch and release the hump in May. Or is it no lines period.
It will likely be no fishing for chinook in the majority of Area 28 and 29 like last year. So, almost guaranteed to be closed to Catch and Release in April and May off the Hump, Bell Buoy, Salmon Rock, Tunstall etc. The only hope is if the Proposal for portions of area 28 gets approved for 1 hatchery a day which would facilitate limited retention and catch and release. The reason why Vancouver is getting treated harsher than anywhere on the South Coast us because of the feedback from Lower River First Nations. From a data perspective, Vancouver is very clean especially in the spring. The government does not want to challenge the First Nations...

What depressing thread, are we all throwing in the towel ?? just be happy we can fish ?? we should be outraged !!!! SV you say DFO IS LISTENING , absolutely not!!! im shocked you would even say, that oldest political tactic in the book, if they were listening they would at the least looked at the proposal that was to be first sent to them, not be told it will never fly. Close areas down then open a little area as a opportunity and no one will *****, make the boundary at otter point one year then move it to sheringham looks like a win no one says anything , DFO gets again what they want . the area that has been sending in the most data gets penalized the most. Were far to predicable because they know we will do anything to get out on the water. We have very good people working in a system that doesn't Work. We have to change or we have no chance , were telling the truth , competing against other groups that will lie to make there agenda fly. We need to learn from our mistakes to get better and be open to criticism. People claim we need to give them data but its getting to a point we cant with all the closures. In order to get rewards you have to take risks, the biggest risk we all face is complete closure and it is coming but at least may fight. The public has no idea what our great volunteers do, were trying to do the right thing , but our process wont allow it. WE SHOULDNT ACCEPT WHAT IS HAPPENING . We should be leaders in the industry, we are the experts, not sheep to afraid to say the right thing because of coast wide closures !!!! WE ALL NEED TO WAKE UP, to few good people working in a system that is reactive and not proactive.

I see what Scott is saying though Oak Bay/Vic has had it rough for years. That would be an improvement if those guys in 19 could at least catch some marked fish.
12 years of slot restrictions in the prime part of our season, and the past 2 years zero retention.
Yeah I'm fed up too, there are too many factors working against us.
habitat destruction,whales,first nations and ENGO's
If this passes, I'll be happy with something rather than nothing.

Last edited:
12 years of slot restrictions in the prime part of our season, and the past 2 years zero retention.
Yeah I'm fed up too, but there are too many factors working against us.
habitat destruction,whales,first nations and ENGO's
If this passes, I'll be happy with something rather than nothing.

Yep got you. Mid island is rough as well. It kills the entire spring fishery. The proposals are out for review right now.

I know you aren't a fan of meetings, but see if you can listen on the one coming up... It's virtual anyway. Ryan and Chris posted it on forum how to login etc.

Last edited:
What depressing thread, are we all throwing in the towel ?? just be happy we can fish ?? we should be outraged !!!! SV you say DFO IS LISTENING , absolutely not!!! im shocked you would even say, that oldest political tactic in the book, if they were listening they would at the least looked at the proposal that was to be first sent to them, not be told it will never fly. Close areas down then open a little area as a opportunity and no one will *****, make the boundary at otter point one year then move it to sheringham looks like a win no one says anything , DFO gets again what they want . the area that has been sending in the most data gets penalized the most. Were far to predicable because they know we will do anything to get out on the water. We have very good people working in a system that doesn't Work. We have to change or we have no chance , were telling the truth , competing against other groups that will lie to make there agenda fly. We need to learn from our mistakes to get better and be open to criticism. People claim we need to give them data but its getting to a point we cant with all the closures. In order to get rewards you have to take risks, the biggest risk we all face is complete closure and it is coming but at least may fight. The public has no idea what our great volunteers do, were trying to do the right thing , but our process wont allow it. WE SHOULDNT ACCEPT WHAT IS HAPPENING . We should be leaders in the industry, we are the experts, not sheep to afraid to say the right thing because of coast wide closures !!!! WE ALL NEED TO WAKE UP, to few good people working in a system that is reactive and not proactive.

Not sure you venting to me personally. I fish in area 20, and it completely effects me as as well as mid island area 17 angler . I am fully aware of challenges in that area , and what the data says/how much there is. It isn't as easy as you may think it is. Lot of things against us right now. I am sorry you feel it doesn't work.

Can read back at least 5 years and see the same thing happens every single year. Excellent point in that fewer fishermen means less data not necessarily less fish.

Last edited:
no no sorry SV was not directing any thing at you, just looking for more or different ideas to get our message out there , maybe be once a month we all pick a radio station or news paper and write a message, change it up every month . Even if we all did one thing better , or something different then we would normally do . We do a lot of really good things were not just freezer fillers!!!

It doesn't say that for CR. Non retention til July 15 then 1 daily max 80cm til end of August. The hybrid opening is just for the inlet zones. That's how I read it anyways.

It doesn't say that for CR. Non retention til July 15 then 1 daily max 80cm til end of August. The hybrid opening is just for the inlet zones. That's how I read it anyways.
Just more nonsense from DFO and a lot of dead fish on the bottom.
Yes Bute & Toba looks open for one. Nice 80-100 mile round trip to keep a fish, thanks DFO!

no no sorry SV was not directing any thing at you, just looking for more or different ideas to get our message out there , maybe be once a month we all pick a radio station or news paper and write a message, change it up every month . Even if we all did one thing better , or something different then we would normally do . We do a lot of really good things were not just freezer fillers!!!

I hear you. I would recommend as a start you support a local advocacy group like SVIAC etc. and reach out too them, and find out if there are ways to help. The members should be a lot more for amount of anglers in that area alone.

Also the Public Fishery Alliance is another:

The majority of these issues are not coming from DFO science. The coastal disintegration from a public fishery perspective lies in the hands of this Minister and this government. These proposals are being reviewed and micromanaged and then subject to a First Nations veto backed by the ENGOs and the governments political reconciliatory agenda. As the public fishery gets micromanaged, the day and night netting in the Fraser River in the spring and summer continues. The DFO confirms this fact. Meanwhile this government, First Nations, ENGOs and to a certain extent the public fishery os to scared to politically challenge the poaching issue. ENGO's have reported 10 to 17 percent of the endangered Fraser chinook go missing in river. The ENGOs will quietly bring it up in IFMPs but do nothing to push the issue publicly. They would rather shoot the public fishery, a winnable battle as it is good for donations and their two faced agendas.

Is CR Campbell River or Catch and Release? If it Campbell River, the table shows 1 a day, 2 in possession April 1 to July 14 for Areas 12 to 16. Not sure what “inlet zones” are.

How is area 17 open but only Baynes Sound for Area 14? The boundary between the two runs roughly from Ballenas to Young Point on Lasquiti. Makes zero sense

Is CR Campbell River or Catch and Release? If it Campbell River, the table shows 1 a day, 2 in possession April 1 to July 14 for Areas 12 to 16. Not sure what “inlet zones” are.
That table above only refers to what's not closing Apr 1. Hope I'm wrong but...
Screenshot_20210307_120209_com.android.chrome.jpg

How is area 17 open but only Baynes Sound for Area 14? The boundary between the two runs roughly from Ballenas to Young Point on Lasquiti. Makes zero sense
Has to do with mark rates. Closer to the US, more marked hatchery fish and low prevalence of stocks of concern to rationalize opportunity. The further north you go, the less marked fish even though many areas are basically devoid of threatened stocks.

Canada needs to mark our hatchery fish. T

Area 17 is proposed, far from being opened.

Back