DFO IFM Plan 2021/22 For Review

Whole in the Water

Please find attached below the DFO link to the draft IFMP for 2021/22 for the South Coast of BC. Pages 252, 253 of the document are pertinent to our local area 19/20. If you are interested in Port Renfrew it is on pages 218, 253, 254.

Category(s): General Information, ABORIGINAL - General Information, COMMERCIAL - General Information, COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net, COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine, COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll, RECREATIONAL - General Information, RECREATIONAL - Salmon Fishery

Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada Subject: FN0197-Salmon - Release of Draft 2021/22 Northern and Southern BC Salmon IFMPs for Consultation The Department has released the 2021-22 draft Northern and Southern BC Salmon Integrated Fishery Management Plans (IFMPs) for comment. Deadline for submission of comments is April 1st, 2021.

To obtain an electronic copy for review, please click the link below: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fz3ggovqa1493jr/AABJMxIUb5ixiGvg2ESc53ala?dl=0

The draft IFMPs set out the policy framework that guides decision making, general objectives relating to management of stocks of concern, enhancement and enforcement, as well as decision guidelines for a range of fisheries. Section 13 of the IFMPs outline the Species Specific Fishing Plans, which describe fisheries plans for each of the salmon species and the management units and major fishery areas for each species. This section includes the relevant information on management approach, decision guidelines and specific management measures, as well as, information related to First Nations, commercial and recreational fishing plans for each fishery.

During March and April, the Department will be meeting with First Nations and recreational, commercial and environmental groups to seek further feedback on the draft IFMPs as part of the IFMP consultation process. Comments may be provided in writing via email to the DFO Pacific Salmon Management Team at: DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

FOR MORE INFORMATION: DFO Pacific Salmon Management Team DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0197 Sent March 1, 2021 at 15:10

Last edited:
Why the minimum size? I know its been around and i never questioned it before. But if someone just wants to take a 35 cm salmon, why stop them if it tags to their license. I fully understand max size limit to allow the big genetic breeders to reproduce.

If it gets approved, we are miles ahead of where we have been last 2 years
is it really?? we should have a hatchery only up until our date of Aug 1 not to many people fish salmon in april may. people want june and july when kids are out of school and the bigger fish are here... kinda a joke really im not even putting boat in water for june how sad is that!!!!

I guess we're all protective of our own areas, Oak Bay/ Victoria has a good run of fish in April and May and we haven't been able to access those for the last 2 years.
I wish all areas could be accessible however we have to take what we can get

Last edited:
is it really?? we should have a hatchery only up until our date of Aug 1 not to many people fish salmon in april may. people want june and july when kids are out of school and the bigger fish are here... kinda a joke really im not even putting boat in water for june how sad is that!!!!
the hatchery fish retention thing sounds awesome in theory but here in CR i think my boat has brought in two hatchery fish in three seasons and one of those was an undersized coho. just not a common thing to see in our waters up here.

the hatchery fish retention thing sounds awesome in theory but here in CR i think my boat has brought in two hatchery fish in three seasons and one of those was an undersized coho. just not a common thing to see in our waters up here.

IMO it's all part of the plan to eventually mark all canadian produced hatchery fish and transition to a MSF. These proposed regs is our representatives just trying to work with DFO to try to get any opportunities they can.

As someone told me who worked on this, we may not agree with this, its not even close to what we had, its not even close to what we want and we know that most of its being realocated.DFO apparently told the SFAB not even bother to ask for what you had because there's no chance in hell it will get approved. This is what we think has a good chance of getting approved try to work with that.

To get back to even close to where we were is a political game that takes lobbying efforts.

As someone told me who worked on this, we may not agree with this, its not even close to what we had, its not even close to what we want and we know that most of its being realocated.DFO apparently told the SFAB not even bother to ask for what you had because there's no chance in hell it will get approved. This is what we think has a good chance of getting approved try to work with that.

To get back to even close to where we were is a political game that takes lobbying efforts.
yes any mention of area 19/20 wont even be listened to ...Now we say remember when we used to be able to keep a salmon!!!!! that liberal gov has to go

They listened to area 20 last year Beecher Bay was opened. I know that isn't ideal but at least something.

I see what Scott is saying though Oak Bay/Vic has had it rough for years. That would be an improvement if those guys in 19 could at least catch some marked fish.

Sucks for JDF it has big spotlight on it with politics, and the optics of it being large funnel. Tough to get around.

I would put past feelings side and start doing way more DNA to fight to have it opened. Your damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Otherwise they will just use whatever CWT heads, and creel they have which isn't as accurate.

Last edited:
Better than nothin, and I would put money on if another party got elected they wouldn't do squat about this, just promote salmon farming and push oil to the coast, or some empty promises, it's just a repeat play out of the same playbook by different people. What we need is to get the control of BC's ocean away from Ottawa, where those in charge don't give two sheets about what happens to 20,000 or 100,000 fishermen here. BC should manage BC's coastline, with a balance of people who care and want what is best for the ocean, not big business. But I remember that this has been proposed as far back as the early 1900s, and look where we are now compared to then. I'm just looking forward to getting on the water and hearing the reel go for a bzzzz

Lots of 79.999 cm fish are gonna get bonked again. Maybe my add is on fire to fight but where's area 29?

I'm also in area 16 may to sept so fingers crossed that holds.

Last edited:
Anything is pretty much better than a full closure of retention like last couple years. In my area (17), our best fishing in the spring has been completely wiped out by the restrictions.

Lots of 79.999 cm fish are gonna get bonked again. Maybe my add is on fire to fight but where's area 29?

I'm also in area 16 may to sept so fingers crossed that holds.
Was thinking of the same thing. Does that mean no fishing the Hump, T10, North and South Arm until Sept 1st? So disappointing.

Was thinking of the same thing. Does that mean no fishing the Hump, T10, North and South Arm until Sept 1st? So disappointing.
The Hump will definitely be closed this spring. The T10, North and South Arm will likely be similar to last year unless the SFAB can claw back opportunity in August pushing the 80cm max rule and the fact that the First Nations will be netting heavily in river again in August. The Vancouver area was treated harshly to align with First Nation requests to keep it closed to the recreational anglers. Hopefully politics will favour Vancouver anglers a little more this year as they got sold out last year by Minister Jordan and her "Ministerial Decision"

Why the minimum size? I know its been around and i never questioned it before. But if someone just wants to take a 35 cm salmon, why stop them if it tags to their license. I fully understand max size limit to allow the big genetic breeders to reproduce.
I think it's a relic of previous fishery management methods and it doesn't work well but it's so entrenched it stays. But these are political based regulations and are not trying to follow science. This paper concludes "
The scientific arguments in favor of removing minimum size restrictions are in fact
clear and convincing."

Remove minimum size limits

Although I welcome any positive changes but what I see here is once again politicians take away our rights completely and then they throw a piece of bone to make us all happy. That’s what politicians do, take away your freedom first then give a little back and everything looks just fine.

Back