DFO Announcement Prawn/Shrimp Reduced Dalily Limit

:mad: The situation for the rec. sector continues to get worse. DFO is totally owned by business.

That's a fine line, fishing and retaining are two different things.
If you are fishing for salmon, you should have the stamp.
I understand that the kids could be fishing for greenling while you fish for salmon, but, again a fine line.

The stamp money does not go to DFO, it goes to Pacific Salmon Foundation, so that's a plus.
I agree...

This is the same principe in river fishing you can’t target salmon or steel head without a stamp for that species.

The reduction in prawn limits has everything to do with money. While it is true there has not been a reduction since 1996, neither has the price of prawn been going up as fast as the past couple of years. Some local restaurants are selling them for 50$ a pound. Overseas, restaurants are charging $10 per prawn. Don’t kid yourself, there is huge money in prawning so the commercial guys would naturally lobby to get their hands on more. The Commercial fleet cannot get more from the FN so they naturally turn their eyes to rec sector’s limits. The saddest thing is DFO working in tandem with the commies in this shady re-allocation of resources all in the name of conservation.

Agree.

Have you seen some of their fancy new boats!!!

I find it absurd that local Canadians in Atlantic Canada aren't allow to harvest any lobster for their own personal consumption. There is no recreational lobster fishing in the Atlantic provinces. All the lobster is allocated to commercial to be mostly exported outside of Canada. Not sure where FN comes into place but I am sure their hands are in the cookie jar.

This is what’s happening in the lobster fishery back east.

I wonder if Covid 19 will cause the same issues with this years commercial prawn season?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...sors-call-for-a-halt-to-harvesting-as-market/
Don’t know about prawn but the price of Dungeness crabs has collapsed. Either no demands or couldn’t get the products to overseas markets with so many airlines suspending flights. TNT was selling them for as low as 3.99$ a pound. I am guessing that will be the case with prawn as well once the commercial season open.

Don’t know about prawn but the price of Dungeness crabs has collapsed. Either no demands or couldn’t get the products to overseas markets with so many airlines suspending flights. TNT was selling them for as low as 3.99$ a pound. I am guessing that will be the case with prawn as well once the commercial season open.
You would hope that they'd test the market for demand before killing everything. Nothing is business as usual anywhere else so why would the fleet be any different.

Back