DFO 2020 Chinook Management Approach Letter

At a local SFAC meeting the DFO rep said MSF is many years away essentially and won't occur for quite some time due to marking rates in BC being so low at the moment

Here is a link to download the latest Pacific Salmon Treaty - click on the rectangular blue box to download in PDF format:
https://www.psc.org/about-us/history-purpose/pacific-salmon-treaty/

There is language talking about MSF's on page 55.

I would also look at the definitions of "Interception" on page 2.

There is also language on catch equity, meaning that each nation shall be able to catch it's fair share of the salmon that their rivers produce.

It is possible that the section on MSF's is new to the 2018 treaty and that the US was not thrilled by the BC MSF fishery targeting US produced fish - dunno, but it is a possibility.

There are many reports on the success and implementation of MSF's on the net.

It appears to me that DFO has considered what would need to happen to have a Chinook MSF that meets treaty requirement and thinks it won't occur for "quite some time".

You would first need to mark fish then wait for them to return; ie 4 years or more.

FYI there is also language in the treaty about the US funding a BC MSF "subject to the availability of funds" - HIGHLY doubt if this fits with Mr "America-First".

It is my hope that the above helps with setting expectations.

Here is a link to download the latest Pacific Salmon Treaty - click on the rectangular blue box to download in PDF format:
https://www.psc.org/about-us/history-purpose/pacific-salmon-treaty/

There is language talking about MSF's on page 55.

I would also look at the definitions of "Interception" on page 2.

There is also language on catch equity, meaning that each nation shall be able to catch it's fair share of the salmon that their rivers produce.

It is possible that the section on MSF's is new to the 2018 treaty and that the US was not thrilled by the BC MSF fishery targeting US produced fish - dunno, but it is a possibility.

There are many reports on the success and implementation of MSF's on the net.

It appears to me that DFO has considered what would need to happen to have a Chinook MSF that meets treaty requirement and thinks it won't occur for "quite some time".

You would first need to mark fish then wait for them to return; ie 4 years or more.

FYI there is also language in the treaty about the US funding a BC MSF "subject to the availability of funds" - HIGHLY doubt if this fits with Mr "America-First".

It is my hope that the above helps with setting expectations.

My guess is that there are a large number of unmarked Canadian hatchery fish being caught in the Puget sound Chinook fishery (Harrison stock). If they were marked, Washington anglers might have better opportunities / longer windows.

We should be marking them all.

With all the debate going on, we could have used the resources to mark all the fish and remove much of the guesswork.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Two weeks after the SFAB proposal submitted to DFO and still nothing.
Get used to this BS as this is what we have to look forward to in the years to come.
Pissed!

You can view status on this stuff here:
https://www.psc.org/publications/te...mmittee-reports/selective-fishery-evaluation/

The official process as defined in the 2019 Pacific Salmon Treaty is that an organization such as DFO/Washington Department of Fish and Game submits a MSF proposal with a deadline of June 1. The proposal then gets reviewed, approved/rejected with EARLIEST implementation June 1 the following year.

Getting the truth about this subject appears to be great material for a Spy novel. I am researching the situation but it is difficult.

Here is what I BELIEVE TO BE TRUE at this point in time:

On the above web page you will find the following PDF file:

Summary of Mass Marking Activities and Mark Selective Fisheries Conducted by Canada and the United States, 2005-2009.
Date added: March-2012

There was a 3 year lag in publishing the data, so that sucks.

It appears that BC's MSF's in the SOJDF in year's past were implemented outside the process published back in 2004 in a "Letter of Understanding on MSF's", which can be found on the above referenced web page .

I would call the above a loophole, and as far as I can tell this loophole was closed by language on MSF's in the 2019 Pacific Salmon Treaty. Right now I am searching for the 2009 PST to verify that the language regarding MSF's in the 2019 is new.

Other than management not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, I don't understand the BS.

Back