Desolation Report

S

SIR

With a fair bit of work (read ALL DAY) we managed to get three small ones on board all between 62 and 65cm. Threw back a couple of jacks and had one fish that just whacked it out the clip and got the bells a jangling but alas no hook set.

All in 180-200 tight to the bottom on wonderbreads with five foot tails behind black flashers. Never saw any suspended bait all day, marked a thin layer on the bottom in places but hundreds and hundreds of mew gulls feeding on some type of small surface shrimp. Two fish came up empty and one stuffed with six fresh 4 inch herring.

I had a rod rigged with a Kone flasher on board but we were having to work so hard to find fish that I didn't want to break out the experimental gear. With three people on board we stuck with tried and true until we each had a fish, then it started to snow... so no experimental gear got wet.

Got sucked into putting a new metal roof on the old man's house so no fishing for a while [V]

Hope everyone else get's out!!!

One of my neighbours who is an ex-commercial salmon fisherman put me on to black for anytime your fishing DEEP. I was skeptical at first but he still fishes almost every week and catches more fish than the rest of the bay combined so I was willing to give it a shot. I fished black next to my standard rainbow reflective for three trips and caught every fish on the black so I've been fishing those for the last three years with great results. My "theory" is that the fish are tight to the bottom where we fish and the black creates a better void than the reflectives which are likely getting very little light at 200' to reflect....

I buy used Hot Shots with the surface scraped up, spray paint them black, let them cure for a week then smother them in herring oil before using them the first time. Seemed a little goofy to me at first but I'm not going to argue with inexpensive success.... I've never tried them shallow as I never fish shallow...

I actually already painted one side of that Kone black but I suspect the circular motion is not going to be as effective at creating a void... but I'll try just about anything once...

I can already hear all sorts of folks thinking "hmmmm, do I beleive him...) Try it with an old flasher!

Black is a great color for depth. Imagine looking up in low light conditions and seeing something dark pass over. That is what I have been told by guys that catch lots of fish. Ultra Violet is also a great bet when fishing that deep. SIR thanks for thinkin about the KoneZone. If you don't get it wet, you won't get it bit. I'm still jelous you got to go fishing. Be careful on the Tin Roof. It's a bad time of year to get injured with lots of fish on the way.

Hi SIR Just wondering what type of black paint you use. thanks snowwhite

Tremclad black spraypaint. I hang them from a hook with fishing line so you can paint everything in one shot and get a smooth finish.

I'll get that Kone wet yet

Thanks SIR Going to try it out in the deep off the lighthouse.Thanks Snowwhite?

I had doubts as soon as I pressed the Post key.... checked the can and it's actually Armor Coat Black Enamel paint. I remember I started with Tremclad and found that it scratched up fairly easily so I switched to the enamel.

Back