Declining Fisheries will affect us all sonn enough

Derby

Crew Member
Declining fisheries will affect us all soon enough

By Rashid Sumaila, Vancouver Sun February 1, 2012

The sad story of Newfoundland's cod industry is well known: When the region's once-thriving cod population collapsed in 1992, 40,000 jobs vanished along with a way of life. Atlantic cod, previously abundant, became an endangered species.

Char species, so critical to first nations communities, now face similar threats. Globally, fisheries are at risk because of overfishing exacerbated by climate change. Human apathy may be the biggest threat to declining fish species, though, as too many governments and individuals remain in denial about the urgency of the problem.

The warning signs of a growing cri-sis are clear: the Atlantic bluefin tuna spawning population, estimated at just 40 per cent of its peak in 1974, is now a "species of concern," along with its cousin, the Pacific bluefin. In British Columbia, ling cod have nearly disappeared.

Such alarming losses result from ecological as well as economic pressures, and the stakes are high as more and more people need food. The planet's population, projected to exceed nine billion by 2050, clicked past seven billion in 2011.

Every year, some 800 million people are undernourished. Fish provide up to 15 per cent of the dietary animal protein consumed by three billion people worldwide. In low-income, food-deprived countries, this food staple is an especially critical source of protein.

Fisheries also buoy the global economy, generating between $220 billion to $235 billion US in impact annually. As stocks are fished beyond their natural replacement rate, unfortunately, fishing becomes an evermore costly activity, resulting in diminishing returns. By 2004, potential "catch losses" caused by overfishing were estimated at nearly 10 million metric tons. Our research has shown that eliminating overfishing could help avert undernourishment for nearly 20 million people in countries with high proportions of malnourished people, such as Liberia, Sri Lanka, Grenada and Guatemala.

But overfishing is only part of the problem. If greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase, temperatures are expected to rise between 1.1 C and 6.4 C by 2100, compared with 1990 levels. Changing water temperatures have already prompted many fish species to relocate. The warming climate causes ocean acidification, too, which will have major impacts on Arctic fishing as ice melts, changing the chemistry of marine habitats.

Even "mild" climate change is likely to result in devastating catch losses. In Mexico, for example, University of B.C. research suggests that fishers will catch 20-per-cent fewer South American pilchard. The region would also harvest fewer shrimp, squid, mackerel, red snapper, scallops, mullet, and other species. A more severe climate-change scenario would mean even greater losses for Mexico's fishing industry.

Sadly, too many countries are under-estimating the magnitude of this looming worldwide crisis. Why? Although the big picture for fish is clear, continuing scientific debate concerning technical details may tend to cause political inertia. Further, as I discussed with colleagues at the recent United Nations Climate Change Conference in Durban, South Africa, warmer temperatures are forcing fish to migrate northward, out of equatorial regions. Prosperous nations in the Northern Hemisphere - including the United States, Canada and Japan - may thus benefit, in the short term, from catch losses in warmer regions.

Yet, food insecurity elsewhere clearly affects human migration as well as global trade.

Declining fish populations will, without a doubt, affect all of us soon enough. In Canada, first nations com-munities are particularly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change and overfishing.

Reducing greenhouse-gas emissions and solving the overfishing problem will be essential steps toward protecting global fisheries. In the United States, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will soon set annual catch limits for every federal managed fish species. The U.S. Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act is an excellent starting point that could help guide other countries in promoting fisheries recovery.

But we must do more. What are your thoughts on this topic? Join me Feb. 16-20, when the world's largest general scientific conference, the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), convenes in Vancouver for the first time. Protecting fisheries, jobs and food security will require all of us to work together toward common goals.

Rashid Sumaila is a professor and director of the Fisheries Centre at the University of B.C. His appearances at the AAAS annual meeting will include a free Family Science Days talk at noon Sunday, Feb. 19 in the Vancouver Convention Centre.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...+soon+enough/6083432/story.html#ixzz1l8yzqh7g

It all comes down to one thing. As soon as you mention any problem having to do with decline in populations or environmental damage of any kind. There are too many of us on the planet and there still is no plan to cap it. The longer we wait the more severe the consequences for those who "WILL" have to deal with it. Is there any other species on earth that has a population that has grown in numbers despite everything mother nature can do to maintain a balance? World fish populations are in decline as a direct result of there being too many of us. How can that change for the better when our numbers worldwide continue upwards out of control?

X2 profisher. There are just too many people on the planet. The oceans can't support our current rape and pillage fishing methods for much longer and when the oceanic ecologies collapse we are all screwed. No one seems to want to talk about over population as a problem (maybe THE problem) anymore and until we can have a sensible discussion about this there will be no solutions to our current situation.

Mother Nature usually has a way of dealing with overpopulation in a species so I expect she will find a solution if we don't. It won't be pretty.

Derby......

You weren't supposed to post this until i sold my boat

I agree with you Profisher. IMHO ever expanding human population growth is the single biggest threat to protecting our environment and maintaining peaceful human exisitence.

The real tricky question is how do you lower population growth globally? The stark reality is either us humans figure out a way to do it willingly and proactively, or environmental and social cirucmstances will do it for us like it does for any other species that has unsustained population growth.

"In British Columbia, ling cod have nearly disappeared."
Who is this clown?

True, they haven't "nearly disappeared altogether" but their numbers are pretty low on the east coast and southern end of Vancouver Island due to over fishing and slow reproduction rates. So while this person may be exaggerating, I wouldn't call this person a clown considering what their overall purpose is. We need more people like this try to raise awareness to the growing problems with declining fish population all over the world.

Early Stuart sockeye (less than 800 made it to the spawning grounds out of 25,000 estimated return in 2011), Early Spring chinook (about 2200 escaped to spawning grounds from a parental brood of 2496 in 2007), summer sockeye, Fraser interior coho, steelhead , freshwater ling cod all stocks of concern. Declining fisheries will affect us all...yep yep yep already happening. so what you going to do about it?

Oh My God, Record Returns of Chinook and Coho in Most rivers of BC and Record numbers in US Rivers. Since Records have been kept

Oh My God, Record Returns of Chinook and Coho in Most rivers of BC...

HUH???
4.gif

How was the rivers in Port this year ? I know the Columbia and the Rivers like the Fraser and San Juan did very well and all rivers in Puget sound

How was the rivers in Port this year ? I know the Columbia and the Rivers like the Fraser and San Juan did very well and all rivers in Puget sound

Sockeye - Bag Fleets called in early, stayed late. Decent escapement realized though.
Springs - Bag Fleets held at bay (for a change) until after the Derby. Extreme effort followed - Escapement Minimal
Coho - Intercepted in above noted fishery for springs. Escapement minimal.

Rather much the same story for most of The Rock.

FAR from "Record Returns" no matter how one wants to spin it...

Cheers,
Nog

So Jimmy's boats caught them before the escapement was met, I gather the hatcheries are raising fish for him

I don't believe it is just simple arithmetic. Must factor in that 25% of the global population consumes 75% of the available resources. If population control is the solution, then one has to decide where to start with that. Just sayin'.

I believe he/she is referring to Turbot, also known as freshwater ling

Somebody take that as a sig... Or does somebody want my Pippen sig?

Hell Ill have 2...

Funny... No offence Fin

Somebody take that as a sig... Or does somebody want my Pippen sig?

Hell Ill have 2...

Funny... No offence Fin
No offense taken Lippy, I really meant Turbot, its actually a new breed of exotic east indian fresh water ling cod. ;-)

OK I clearly got THAT one wrong. my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back