Day trip from Cowichan lake to ocean fishing

Aridhol

I'm heading up to cowichan lake with the family for the next 12 days and while this will be an amazing and relaxing time I will have a little devil on my shoulder telling me I'm missing some great Salmon fishing so I'd like to get out once or twice with my brother in law. My question is, where is the best place to go? He and I usually fish out of Sooke or Victoria and I'm still fairly new so I don't know many areas.
I'll be on the youbou side of the lake about 20mins up the logging road.

Back into town and west on south shore road to Honeymoon Bay. Signage will indicate turnoff to Port Renfrew. About an hour - hour and a half (forgotten the timing).
There is a logging road from west end of Lake to Bamfield, but don't know conditions or enough about route to advise you.
Good luck.

Do this trip often as the in-laws have a place on Cowichan west of Youbou.

Renfrew is an easier drive as the road is paved the entire way. Will take you just over an hour depending on which side of the lake you're on. If it's a decent day a guided trip out to Swiftsure will get you your limits in everything.

Bamfield is a 90 minute drive -- most cell phone GPS units with Google Maps can get you there. Road is dirt the entire way and I wouldn't drive the route in a car -- SUV or 4x4 with good tires and a real spare are required. Easiest way given you've not been there is to follow the route to Franklin Camp and follow the signs to Bamfield. However, it's well worth the drive. Scenery is fantastic and there are more options for fishing if the winds come up that day.

Back