Daiwa 275B

Tight Roll

I recently received an unused Daiwa 275B mooching reel as a gift. The reels looks good and sounds great. I understand that these are old reels and have not been made for about 20 years. Does anyone have any experience with these reels and how do they stack up against todays more modern versions?

Tight Roll

Tight Roll: I still have a couple of these reels and they are still working fine (haven't been used for many years). These reels have a two way drag which has some disadvantages over the new one-way drag reels, especially if you have beginners using them or use them for drift fishing (need to back the drag off quickly while reeling in on a surfacing fish - the reason I stopped using them many years ago). The reels do have a good sensitive drag though.

...Rob

I have 4 of them and they're great reels but the two way drag can be a bit of a disadvantage when used as a trolling reel as mentioned in the above post.When used for mooching,which is what they were designed for,then they're a tremendous reel.
I've used mine for years and caught a lot of fish with them however I've just replaced them all with M-One reels as my wife feels a lot more comfortable with the one way drag system.
Dave

Cheers,

First units I ever owned and I spent a lot of years fishing them with tremendous success. It was only when the newer one way units - along with improved finances - arrived did I upgrade. I would have no problem fishing one.

Still use mine as the top rod out the back w/ 4-6 oz and either bait, spoon or bucktail.

Man do they scream!!!!!

Cheers

SS

Put mine on a fly rod and use it for Coho. No flasher, just a plug ,apex , spoon or bait-- FUN! FUN! FUN!!!

Hey Tight Roll, any of those old Daiwa reels are great to fish with. Used them for 30 years in Pender Harbour. If you would like to sell it; let me know. I will pay top dollar; or can trade you other reels. Thanks, Tom T. 778-866-4622.

The 275B's were my first reels. Used them for years, they were great reels if you knew how to use them, not so good for the novice. I always had the clicker on and they sure sounded good when a fishing was pulling on the line. I wore out a couple of pawls on them. Other than the pawl wearing they are a tough reel and they hold a lot of line. I still have one that has never had any line on it and is still in the original box.

Back