Cut polish ?

scott craven

Anybody ever cut polish a vehicle ?
The paint on my truck was badly oxidized, and i've put it off for years.
Lot's of elbow grease, but what a difference.

Yup. When I painted my Corvette many moons ago I color sanded the whole car with first 600 grit paper, then 1000 grit and then 2000 grit. I then power sanded the whole car with a commercial grade cut polisher(very low rpm unit) turning a real sheepskin pad. Even at low rpm's you have to be careful not to burn thru the paint on the edges.The result was phenomanal. I have cut polished vehicles by hand before however that was only to raise some of the original lustre. No color sanding involved. Base/Clear paint processes on most newer vehicles have made cut polishing somewhat obsolete now.
By the way, by the time I'd finished polishing my Corvette I had more money tied up in polishes,waxes and glaze than I had into the paint and primer.
Dave

motors (1024x683).jpg
I was thinking I might need to do this to the paint strip and hull on the Arima I picked up. I tried some scratch doctor, and polish but didn't work that well.
What should I use for this? I have an old school 2 speed polisher and some foam and furry pads.

You might want to try doing a very small section first, maybe on the stern by or under the motor which is sort of out of sight. See how the gelcoat responds to polishing. I think you'll find that the results will make you pretty happy but you wouldn't want to screw up a spot right on the side of your boat.
Dave

The best cut polish for glass boats is Auto Glym's fine cut. This stuff is awesome and has kept my 20 year old Seasport looking like new. If I had more time during the summer I would get more coats of wax on it so I wouldn't have to polish it. Unfortunately that isn't possible so I cut polish and wax it each spring. The finish stays remarkably good through the summer. I do get extra wax coats on the hull itself each year and usually only cut polish below the waterline each spring. Above the waterline I don't have to polish as it doesn't get the same amount of direct sun as the tops.

Back