cut plug/whole herring set up

JuBy

Hi there I was just curious as to what you guys (and girls) use when it comes to rigging up your cut plugs or whole herring for me I like to use to single 5/0 Gammy or Owner hooks but i know some guys even go as big as 7. Am I safe with my current set up?

I don't do it that often but when I do I use two single 5/0 Gammy's as well. One poking out of the skin in the tail end and one in the front

Big ol' hand-length purple label herring will get a 7/0 for the lead hook (with a 4/0 trailer) often this summer and fall.

Match the hooks to the size of your bait/lure, not to the size of the fish your targeting. You wouldn't put a 4/0 Siwash on a 7" Tomic plug would you? You wouldn't put an 11/0 Siwash on a 3.5 Coyote spoon either. Same goes for herring. Size of hook in part determines the action of a cutplug, and the hookup rate. Pretty important factors especially when chinooks are being finicky.

M fav isa Kripple -K teaser head - ( 212 or 602) with wire -Blue herring/med-#1 treble 5/0 trailer-Knocks them dead :) works for me:D

Back