cuddy gets wet??

Jencourt

In the process of re doing all the calking on my 96 Trophy. Fixing up a couple little wiring things and other small odds and ends.

The calking project was inspired by the fact that the cuddy cabin was getting wet in big rains, and wen we take a wave or two just the wrong way.. As we started looking we found that previous owner had added silicone all over the place to presumably combat the same issue .Like many projects the more I dig the more questions I have. Thought I would throw a few up and see what you folks can offer.

Other than the obvious, Cuddy windows, hatches,fittings and the deteriorated calk on rub rail. I have noticed that the angled plastic molding that holds the glass in the window frames has shrunk so much that there is a 3/4 to 1.5" gap at the corners. This is on both windshield and side glass. Some one tried to fill with sikaflex or something but it has chunked out and left big holes again. I would like to fix properly and replace if possible.

#1- Question is. Would it be a nightmare to locate and then Re and Re the molding, or would a glass or boat shop be the place to get this done. OR, would you re calk corners and move along?

#2 the plastic trim that wraps the engine well where top of hull joins bottom is braking up with age. We have guy that can make some from thin aluminum. Before going that route is there a plastic fabricator near comox/CR ? If i do go aluminum do I need to avoid stainless screws wen fastening to fiberglass ?

In the process of re doing all the calking on my 96 Trophy. Fixing up a couple little wiring things and other small odds and ends.

The calking project was inspired by the fact that the cuddy cabin was getting wet in big rains, and wen we take a wave or two just the wrong way.. As we started looking we found that previous owner had added silicone all over the place to presumably combat the same issue .Like many projects the more I dig the more questions I have. Thought I would throw a few up and see what you folks can offer.

Other than the obvious, Cuddy windows, hatches,fittings and the deteriorated calk on rub rail. I have noticed that the angled plastic molding that holds the glass in the window frames has shrunk so much that there is a 3/4 to 1.5" gap at the corners. This is on both windshield and side glass. Some one tried to fill with sikaflex or something but it has chunked out and left big holes again. I would like to fix properly and replace if possible.

#1- Question is. Would it be a nightmare to locate and then Re and Re the molding, or would a glass or boat shop be the place to get this done. OR, would you re calk corners and move along?

#2 the plastic trim that wraps the engine well where top of hull joins bottom is braking up with age. We have guy that can make some from thin aluminum. Before going that route is there a plastic fabricator near comox/CR ? If i do go aluminum do I need to avoid stainless screws wen fastening to fiberglass ?

Not 100% sure i understand your window issue - this might help. I had the same issue as you. I took apart my front walkthrough window, pulled the glass off the frame, removed as much of the old sealant as I could. I then laid down a new bead of butyl tape and pressed the window back on. It has been completely watertight.

Not 100% sure i understand your window issue - this might help. I had the same issue as you. I took apart my front walkthrough window, pulled the glass off the frame, removed as much of the old sealant as I could. I then laid down a new bead of butyl tape and pressed the window back on. It has been completely watertight.

Thanks for that. What I was trying to describe is the beveled hard rubber /plastic? trim that holds glass in. described as a "spline" on another bayliner forum. The mitered ends where they neet at the corners have shrank away as much as 1.5 inches from each other, leaving big holes in the corners.

Almost all boats over 10 years old will have the rubber around glass shrinking in the corners.Most people goop it up with black Sikaflex. If you find a supplier for the rubber,I'd like to know it because mine is in the same shape.

Had an issue with water getting in the Cuddy. In my case it was as simple as swapping out the edging on the main glass hatch. You buy it by the foot from places like Trotac in Victoria. I think it comes in both black and white. Like all things rubber and plastic it ages, shrinks, gets hard and brittle and leaks, but is an easy, simple and inexpensive thing to replace. It is one of those things you should just add to the list for the periodic mini refit to keep things from going moldy up front.

Last edited:
Almost all boats over 10 years old will have the rubber around glass shrinking in the corners.Most people goop it up with black Sikaflex. If you find a supplier for the rubber,I'd like to know it because mine is in the same shape.

Same here need new rubber around the windows and who has it ?

Going through the same issue with the vinyl gasket around my windows on my new to me boat. Check out http://www.taylormarine.com/ and http://www.americanmarine.com/. Both are large manufactures of OEM windshield systems for boats and you can purchase replacement gaskets. Both websites show the profile and give measurements. I was down on the new boat today taking samples / measurements and will be pricing some out this week. Good luck finding what you are after!

Thanks for that. What I was trying to describe is the beveled hard rubber /plastic? trim that holds glass in. described as a "spline" on another bayliner forum. The mitered ends where they neet at the corners have shrank away as much as 1.5 inches from each other, leaving big holes in the corners.

The spline/trim what ever you want to call it is just trim. The butyl tape is what seals the window. If you take off the trim to inspect you will see the window frame channels the water down and it drains out of the bottom. There are a couple of slots on the bottom frame for this purpose.

I had a skylight that was leaking and I took it to a glass place to get resealed. They just filled the shrinking corner trim with a product called Diamonic (not sure about spelling) and that worked great and I think it cost me $10. They had all kinds of colours.....my skylight was dark brown.

Good luck,
GnB

I had a skylight that was leaking and I took it to a glass place to get resealed. They just filled the shrinking corner trim with a product called Diamonic (not sure about spelling) and that worked great and I think it cost me $10. They had all kinds of colours.....my skylight was dark brown.

Good luck,
GnB
Dymonic caulk made by Tremco. It's a urethane/silane product and my commercial window supplier won't use anything else. They have a perfect colour match for aluminum frames, called - you guessed it - aluminum. Compared to conventional acrylic caulk, the stuff is hard to tool well and godawful messy, but it truly does remain flexible over periods of years.

My old trophy leaks where the window meets the fiberglass. The screws are loose and the seal under the frame has failed. Remove the window frames and new seals and screws. The above mention temco product is used to finish up. It stays soft for years and stretches 3x the dia. The second place we leaked is the rub rail. When taking a big wave the water goes under the rub rail and through the boat half's. Run down the interior carpet. I sealed it with glazing adhesive and tooled it with spit or soapy water.

Back