Cuba in October

Finished Business

Saw the other post about fishing in Cuba....My other half has been trying to drag me to a destination wedding in Cuba. Been sour on the idea of spending my vacation for someone elses sake. (call me grumpy, or call me right haha)

Anyways, been doing a bit of research and I'm wondering why I have been resisting. Bonefish to spool you on the fly, Tarpon to beat you up, And Fatboy Permits to test your metal.

Has anyone been and care to share an experience?

From what I've learned October is the last of the 'good' months to get into fish before April rolls around. It seems Billfish would be the target for offshore fishing, as well there are year round Cuda and Grouper.

We would be staying at the Cayo Ensenachos Resort on the North East side of the island. Not actually on the mainland. This area is know to have deep sea Tarpon fishing, of fish to a regular 50+ pounds.

Any info that folks may have from experience would be great.

CHEERS

Hey Nick,

I was there in '09, and had a trip lined up but had to cancel, the guy actually tracked me down in the hotel to see if I was still interested.
He was prepared to drive over 2 hours to pick me up and back to where he fished out of. (Basically that was why I cancelled the trip, too much road time).
Anyways, it was hard to find a guide at the time, we were in Varedero, so before I left I contacted Henry Waschuk from Fishing The Flats for a contact to fish with in Cuba as I had seen him fish there a couple of times.
He gave me some contact #'s to try and the guy that called me from the hotel was his #1 dude to go with in Cuba.

Might be an idea to see what Hank has to say....yeah I know, it's Waschuk but whatever, contacts are contacts, and he didnt hesitate to offer me some ideas.

Thats all I got...still kinda regret not getting out....

Cheers

After speaking with the bride to be and checking out the resort some...its a totally isolated resort that can fully cater to a fisherman if need be. charters direct from the hotel. Looks like it could be a good spot situated as the last island before the bahamas...looks like its pretty deep just off the beach.

Saw the other post about fishing in Cuba....My other half has been trying to drag me to a destination wedding in Cuba. Been sour on the idea of spending my vacation for someone elses sake. (call me grumpy, or call me right haha)

Anyways, been doing a bit of research and I'm wondering why I have been resisting. Bonefish to spool you on the fly, Tarpon to beat you up, And Fatboy Permits to test your metal.

Has anyone been and care to share an experience?

From what I've learned October is the last of the 'good' months to get into fish before April rolls around. It seems Billfish would be the target for offshore fishing, as well there are year round Cuda and Grouper.

We would be staying at the Cayo Ensenachos Resort on the North East side of the island. Not actually on the mainland. This area is know to have deep sea Tarpon fishing, of fish to a regular 50+ pounds.

Any info that folks may have from experience would be great.

CHEERS

http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfish/NewsArticlesLanding.php?cid=1&show=37

Check out this article. First part bonefish...second part tarpon.

TFWR_zps03533a77.jpg

TFC1_zps317a2876.jpg

Two tarpon flies to try.

The country is not Hawaii that is for sure. However it seems far safer than Mexico at times. Depending upon where you go there are some flats you can take a taxi too. Other places you need a boat and guide. Avalon is running most areas now and they are pricey.

Back