CTAG Demystified!!!!

From my understanding it would be based on logbook participation in years prior (how long prior I'm not sure), not CTAG or anything like that.

BTW, I checked out if DFO had any plans to get into the business of restricting how many guides are on the coast and the answer was simple.....no! Followed by a few chuckles. Not sure who was spreading this rumor, but you might want to call bs when you talk to them next. Think they were yarding your chain there.

I know its winter but this thread is getting flogged to death, I'm curious now what is the name of the Insurance Company then we can move on. Seems it's a big secret.

Last edited by a moderator:
TRUST me id like to kill it but both el captain and BIRD haven't set an itinerary so we can see how this thing is ran????? WHY NOT?????
they were rather vocal and making sure the point was getting you the 500 dollars free from the government if thats all its about that is rather concerning......I just want to know what 3 hours at 166 bucks an hour im paying for plain and simple.....

Coast Underwriters. 650 w Georgia Vancouver, 604-683-5631. Been posted previously, so no secret?

Wolf, go back to my post outlining the assessment process...that's it. Not complicated. There is no course if you are challenging. I don't know what you are asking for that hasn't been covered.

Maybe be just give me a call, it would be easier to understand what info you are hoping for.

Well I did what you said and looked back if thats all it is to answer what i do at the dock i dont need someone to asses me then im not going to throw 500 bucks down the ******* ......

Coast Underwriters. 650 w Georgia Vancouver, 604-683-5631. Been posted previously, so no secret?

Wolf, go back to my post outlining the assessment process...that's it. Not complicated.

Searun

Read much. Not.
I checked with them. Read my last 2 post.
They do not provide a discount as noted and they do not provide a better price or coverage.than I already have.even with ctag
The broker wrote to me has worked with them for over 20 yrs.
Wolfs broker is also dealing with coast

I give up. I will continue on my own and follow federal rules and regs with out this bs .
Not complicated.

Well I'm not insured with Coast, but I get a CTAG discount. I do know guys who are and when they switched it was a substantial savings. That's all I know, not making it up. I don't mind spending the $500 tax incentive either. The whole thing is a no brainer for a 3 hour challenge.

correction, $1000 incentive, but $500 clear in my jeans after paying the assessment fee.

Well I'm not insured with Coast, but I get a CTAG discount. I do know guys who are and when they switched it was a substantial savings. That's all I know, not making it up. I don't mind spending the $500 tax incentive either. The whole thing is a no brainer for a 3 hour challenge.

correction, $1000 incentive, but $500 clear in my jeans after paying the assessment fee.

All that Searun,and Wolf and several others including myself are also legally qualified to guide without CTAG. So it sounds like a personal choice. Why are you flogging this? Are you a pd accessor? We have heard your points thanks.

All that Searun,and Wolf and several others including myself are also legally qualified to guide without CTAG. So it sounds like a personal choice. Why are you flogging this? Are you a pd accessor? We have heard your points thanks.[/QUOTE

And we have heard yours .....

All that Searun,and Wolf and several others including myself are also legally qualified to guide without CTAG. So it sounds like a personal choice. Why are you flogging this? Are you a pd accessor? We have heard your points thanks.[/QUOTE

And we have heard yours .....

Not really Derby I've pretty well stayed out of this listened to both sides. Had all the paperwork already sitting on the desk before this discussion started. Unfortunately I'm still not sold. So now Derby you have heard mine. Out.

I bought my policy from Vancouver Island Insurance centres in Pt Hardy from a broker named Janet 250-949-6900. It is called a "CTAG policy" from Coast underwriters and is tailored specifically towards charter operations. I'm happy with the wording and price, way better than my last policy.

Doug,

Thanks for the compliments on the website, brand new a few weeks ago. Another thanks for pointing out I am not advertising that my guides and myself are CTAG certified, I will get them to add that right away.

I also use the same insurance company as El Capitan and have seen my rates drop over the last three years, may want to give them a call.

There are a few reasons I certified myself and I did state them before. I like the idea of trying to legitimize our sector, makes us look and sound more professional. I did also receive discounted insurance rates for both my boats. This certification has been nothing but a positive for myself and my business. Might not be for everyone and if you can not find any reasons to become a part of it then all the power to you.

Cheers,

Back