Crofton paper mill to be indefinitely curtailed

Sad news for those folks and the businesses that rely on that mill operating. I worked for 16 years in that industry and saw the writing on the wall and left before our mill shut down due to the overseas markets.

You kidding? That's horrible.

Maybe they need to move to the Harmac business model. Employee owned and going after another markets.

Immediate spin offs to be hard hit will be Chemainus. A lot of employees support the Chemainus Theater and other stores along there when tourists are gone winter.

Duncan industrial businesses also rely on business. I cant imagine if the accounts they had locally that will be just gone.

It will also be interesting how the Cowichan round table group will operate without the mill. Crofton monitored the water etc and weir.

I think its sad for all those families.

Last edited:
More employees then that have already been let go then that on the fish farm industry.

Maybe they need to move to the Harmac business model. Employee owned and going after another markets.

Immediate spin offs to be hard hit will be Chemainus. A lot of employees support the Chemainus Theater and other stores along there when tourists are gone winter.

Duncan industrial businesses also rely on business. I cant imagine if the accounts they had locally that will be just gone.

It will also be interesting how the Cowichan round table group will operate without the mill. Crofton monitored the water etc and weir.

A business like this will have 100s of downstream buisness effects

Never good too loose a resource business like this that brought in international money.

Not like there is a line up of manufacturing companies lined up that want to set up shop on the island but of course there will always be people that like it that way.

Last edited:
A business like this will have 100s of downstream buisness effects

Never good too loose a resource business like this that brought in international money.
Interesting that they had been bringing back some retired people on contracts as they had trouble finding enough workers.

I worked in a shake and shingle mill block pilling that since burnt down and closed, worked in a moulding and mill work shop that’s since closed downed, worked at a huge nursery that grew trees for tree planting that has also since closed down.

Paper “excellence”. Good employees, I know Western Forest will hire a bunch, but seniority won’t transfer. Dam tough transition. When my old pulp mill shut down most landed on their feet but for a handful, it was a tragedy.

Pulp Mills were one of our best client groups but almost only PE, are left in Canada. I had fun meeting with them and their slightly crazy CEO at the time but the head of HR knew it "all" so we wouldn’t be doing biz with them. Hope the local businesses find other clients.

Last edited:
My father in law worked there as a machinery oiler when it was BCFP back in the 60's & 70's.
Sad to see all these old institutions fade away.

Pretty hard to do when they strip the mill of equipment. There isn't a area in the mill that can run. The even took out the ramp to load barges.

"In 2021, the company invested in repurposing its Port Alberni paper machines to manufacture food and packaging grades.

Paper Excellence is working with both Provincial and Federal Governments while it conducts studies at the Crofton facility to consider accelerating its conversion into natural food and packaging grades. "

The above is a quote from Paper Excellence's press release:

Back