Creel Surveyors

Everyday beside my boat, they are on it at the docks here in Hardy.

Since I am part of the log book program they do not take my info, in only goes in the book so my data is not collected twice.

One @ Pedder Bay on Sunday. Said he was from the Rupert area. Is it volunteer or paid work? Cuz the guy sat for over 5 hours without taking a single note as the place was dead after 1pm. More patience than I have, that's for sure...

One @ Pedder Bay on Sunday. Said he was from the Rupert area. Is it volunteer or paid work? Cuz the guy sat for over 5 hours without taking a single note as the place was dead after 1pm. More patience than I have, that's for sure...

I like to see that. If they only spend time at high productivity times and locations for sport fishing which they have at times done in the past like the opening day of Halibut season at Esq. Anglers or a Derby day it distorts and artificially inflates the sport catch when it is generalized to all days, times, weather conditions etc. Which means they over estimate our catch and shut us down unnecessarily and early. If no one is fishing or if you have fished 10 hours and not had a bite that is very important and helpful data for DFO which fairly balances our effort to catch success which is to our benefit. Unfortunately when anglers catch nothing they tend to want to slink off quietly well those who are very successful tend to want to show it off. If you want accurate results and fairer openings and regulations it is important in my view that you make sure they check you when you have caught nothing, especially for Halibut.

Last edited by a moderator:
The job was often given to college and university students.... My vote would be for more College Girls being offered the job. More of us would be happy to talk to them I bet :)

Rockfish You are Absolutely Correct- Balanced Data is the key to correct science data for DFO.
Our DFO creel surveyor starts on July 2- Aug 31. Yes they are paid. A Great Summer Job if you like fish!!

Especially if they are wearing bikini's.

The job was often given to college and university students.... My vote would be for more College Girls being offered the job. More of us would be happy to talk to them I bet :)

I like to see that. If they only spend time at high productivity times and locations for sport fishing which they have at times done in the past like the opening day of Halibut season at Esq. Anglers or a Derby day it distorts and artificially inflates the sport catch when it is generalized to all days, times, weather conditions etc. Which means they over estimate our catch and shut us down unnecessarily and early. If no one is fishing or if you have fished 10 hours and not had a bite that is very important and helpful data for DFO which fairly balances our effort to catch success which is to our benefit. Unfortunately when anglers catch nothing they tend to want to slink off quietly well those who are very successful tend to want to show it off. If you want accurate results and fairer openings and regulations it is important in my view that you make sure they check you when you have caught nothing, especially for Halibut.

X 3, well put rockfish!

From North Islander news paper Tuesday July 22, 2014.
Sorry no link at this time.

SOG creel surveys done in June
Area 11,12 and 13
No SOG creel surveys done in June
Area 14,15,16,17,18,28 and 29.

This is not acceptable...
Harper and his budget cuts are hitting us hard.
This affects everyone as without the science we have no idea what is happening out there.
SOG creel surveys have been done for 35 years.... and now..... gone.
What a bunch of clowns we have for leaders.
More interested in fish-farms, pipelines and tar-sands then Salmon and recreational anglers.

From North Islander news paper Tuesday July 22, 2014.
Sorry no link at this time.

SOG creel surveys done in June
Area 11,12 and 13
No SOG creel surveys done in June
Area 14,15,16,17,18,28 and 29.

This is not acceptable...
Harper and his budget cuts are hitting us hard.
This affects everyone as without the science we have no idea what is happening out there.
SOG creel surveys have been done for 35 years.... and now..... gone.
What a bunch of clowns we have for leaders.
More interested in fish-farms, pipelines and tar-sands then Salmon and recreational anglers.

Total BS...... I didn't think they were out there. Normally I see them all the time.

So does that aircraft have some kind of x-ray vision to see what you got in your cooler...?

No, not that I know of. But,,,, the spotter has to take a special little pill before the flight,,, I think the label says ESP pills (however it could say LSD, a smudged label is difficult to read :p). Note pills must be taken with "Special DFO Kool-Aid":eek: for full effectiveness.

I have been buzzed twice by the DFO King Air survey aircraft.

Without the creel survey you can't tie the over flights with the actual fish that were caught.
Now they can only guess what is going on out there.
We just had a change in the rules with Coho (1 marked / 1 non-marked) so how do we know how this is effecting the stocks? Poor performance from our so-called leaders.

Over flights can only give you a "fishing effort" number. Not a performance number. Perfect to apply VooDoo math to-to come up with the desired and expected result!!

Back