Coyote Spoon Leader Length

tubby

The coyote spoon, definitely one of favorites. Curious what some of you are using for leader length. I used to go fairly long but now start around 44-48inch. I'm having pretty good success but there always room for improvement. Appreciate thoughts?

Hey Tubby, pretty much what I have been doing with good success.... SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

hit a 22lbs at pill point yesterday with a 6 ft leader at around lunch... dunno if thats a long leader for a spoon or not..

quote:Originally posted by waddy29

hit a 22lbs at pill point yesterday with a 6 ft leader at around lunch... dunno if thats a long leader for a spoon or not..

For me that would be an extremely long leader i run my spoons on 30-40 inch leaders i find the shorter leaders are better because the flasher improves the action of the spoon. I also give my spoon a small bend in the front to make it slightly more eratic!

-Steve

I typically start long with spoons ~5ft (tho I think 6ft is perfectly fine) and shorten if things are slow. I hooked an 18 at Pill yesterday on a leader that was about 60" long. I generally fish longer leaders behind all gear as the summer progresses and shorter in the winter - tho I will shorten a leader and give the spoon another go before changing up. Amazing how sometimes a few inches can get the fish going!

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

I typically start long with spoons ~5ft (tho I think 6ft is perfectly fine) and shorten if things are slow. I hooked an 18 at Pill yesterday on a leader that was about 60" long. I generally fish longer leaders behind all gear as the summer progresses and shorter in the winter - tho I will shorten a leader and give the spoon another go before changing up. Amazing how sometimes a few inches can get the fish going!

Maybe i should start trying some longer leaders. I havent tried them that long before.

-steve

My 3 largest fish all hit a spoon without a flasher, so how can your leader be too long[?] Clendan Stewart and a green/glow coyote above a dummy. And all three times, bait wasn't really working. It's a good fight as well. :D

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

I hooked an 18 at Pill yesterday on a leader that was about 60" long.

what kind of boat do you have??? i might have seen you get that one... did you net the fish as it spit the hook in mid air? thats what we saw lol

I normally use a 46 inch leader, but more or less depending on if im targeting silvers or kings or both [:eek:)]

Let's Go Canucks!

Quote from another thread,

"the 41+ and the second place fish were both caught past san carlos going toward the outside past the oyster farm near a bay with green roofed cabins...41 on a green and white spoon no flasher on thursday afternoon at about 1pm " :D

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

what size coyote spoons have been working the best,3.5 4.0 or bigger yet.
most of the time i use bait anchovies.
thanks

Back