Cowichan River

Wasn't there still a very small number of hatchery fish returning last year?? Definitely some in 2013. Sounds to me like at least some of those hatchery fish had/have pretty competitive genes if they are able to return multiple times. Pretty good article in (I think) BC outdoors about the NitNat hatchery and how they are creating more competitive hatchery fish.

Not sure a hatchery is the answer for the cowichan, but the Vedder sure seems to be doing ok.

The Cowichan never had a huge hatchery run. I fished it a lot in the 80's and 90's and maybe 1 in 8/10 fish landed were hatchery. Unlike the Somass where the opposite is true. I also believe the Cowichan has at least three different runs, and only the later two were infected with hatchery fish. It makes sense to sacrifice a river such as the Vedder when it is so close to a population base. It is basically a fish factory that is worth funding as much as any other recreation/sports facility or neighbourhood trout pond.

Cowichan is a designated world famous Heritage River. Something of National Pride. It is worth saving and rehabilitating and not being turned into a trout farm.

Yes the cowichan is amazing, but considering the state of the salmon and steelhead runs compared to what they should be. I'm not saying a hatchery is the answer but rehabilitation will be tough when we can't even get past lakefront property owners to increase drought like summer water conditions. The river can have as many prestigious titles as you want but it's not far from being in major trouble.

Is the river closer to being healthy or beyond recovery??

I was also just reminded that there will be a joint BCFDF and BCWF meeting with local steelhead bio to talk about approaching meeting set up with Cowichan Tribes. Everyone is hoping to help explain the crisis and help resolve situation. Hoping professional engaged discussion wins the day!
\

Great to hear, thanks for this, please keep us posted!

Yes the cowichan is amazing, but considering the state of the salmon and steelhead runs compared to what they should be. I'm not saying a hatchery is the answer but rehabilitation will be tough when we can't even get past lakefront property owners to increase drought like summer water conditions. The river can have as many prestigious titles as you want but it's not far from being in major trouble.

Is the river closer to being healthy or beyond recovery??

The fish just need a chance. They can do amazing things if let be. Remember the Toutle River among others, rivers that were basically wiped out and have made amazing recoveries.

I really think some of you should watch the movie that was done on this river I own a copy..It isn't not that much and is very in depth on politics etc and what has happened to river.... I recommend also that the guys within the board watch it as well if you haven't even seen it. I was blown away with some things that are shown in movie... But it really dives into politics behind the river...

http://dvmedia.ca/vimeo-on-demand/resilience

Here is trailer for film...

http://dvmedia.ca/trailers/resilience

I really think some of you should watch the movie that was done on this river I own a copy..It isn't not that much and is very in depth on politics etc and what has happened to river.... I recommend also that the guys within the board watch it as well if you haven't even seen it. I was blown away with some things that are shown in movie... But it really dives into politics behind the river...

http://dvmedia.ca/vimeo-on-demand/resilience

Here is trailer for film...

http://dvmedia.ca/trailers/resilience

Thanks for the advice. Good info on all those efforts being put into saving the river. I can certainly see how everyone involved, especially FN's would be angered at those sabotaging their efforts with nylon nets. At the other end had to shake my head at the lake front owner who argues to protect his lake level property from raising the weir. You'd have to be pretty thick to build anything permanent that close to lake level.

The fish just need a chance. They can do amazing things if let be. Remember the Toutle River among others, rivers that were basically wiped out and have made amazing recoveries.

Many of the ECVI rivers have basically been closed to fishing for a decade plus.
There are very depressed runs in the Cowie, Nanaimo, Englishman, both Qualicums, Puntledge, Quinsam and the Gold is just a mere shadow of what it used to be.
Things are not good in the land of Steelhead these days.
There have been no significant recoveries around here. Just sayin.

Many of the ECVI rivers have basically been closed to fishing for a decade plus.
There are very depressed runs in the Cowie, Nanaimo, Englishman, both Qualicums, Puntledge, Quinsam and the Gold is just a mere shadow of what it used to be.
Things are not good in the land of Steelhead these days.
There have been no significant recoveries around here. Just sayin.

This should help. I can't stand these fu*#s any more. At least we have a name this time. And a picture. Not the first for him either check his Facebook. Anyone that stands with this guy fishing is equally at fault. No mercy get this out!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 440
The top one looks like it potentially got through a net as well... Good times on the cowichan. :(

Smoke em if you got em....

The top one looks like it potentially got through a net as well... Good times on the cowichan. :(

Smoke em if you got em....

Yup, the top one is definitely a fish that made it through a gillnet. Unfortunately the netting and poaching have been ongoing on the Cowie for many many years. With little to no repercussions it is unlikely it will end any time soon.

So sad to see 3 beautiful wild steelhead dead like that.That guy obviously has no shame in what he's doing.Probably
has "rock star" status in the tribe complete with his own native groupies.Makes me sick.They just don't frickn' get it!!

Doesn't matter if they were caught with a rod, snagged, speared or netted. It's still 3 dead wild Steelhead out of a run that isn't monitored or managed. Dead is dead and poaching is poaching!

Yup, the top one is definitely a fish that made it through a gillnet. Unfortunately the netting and poaching have been ongoing on the Cowie for many many years. With little to no repercussions it is unlikely it will end any time soon.

Oh, believe me it will end very soon if this level of netting goes on for few more weeks. It will end due to the lack of any fish left.

What you all should realize is that this net fishery is not poaching in its true meaning = illegal fishing. The band has a permission to food fish and nothing in this permit excludes steelhead. So long the band members don't sell the fish it is legal and no official can and will do anything about it. Obviously that does not make the dire situation of the steelhead any better. It would be up to the band to control this fishery to a level that is sustainable which would be pretty much zero. Here time will tell how good stewards of a natural resources this band can be.

Pathetic. Its amazing that anyone could be so fu$king dumb in this day and age. They know the fish are endangered and keep poaching so its just a total lack of respect for the resource. Island fishing team LOL now that's funny. More like Island poaching team.

Oh, believe me it will end very soon if this level of netting goes on for few more weeks. It will end due to the lack of any fish left.

What you all should realize is that this net fishery is not poaching in its true meaning = illegal fishing. The band has a permission to food fish and nothing in this permit excludes steelhead. So long the band members don't sell the fish it is legal and no official can and will do anything about it. Obviously that does not make the dire situation of the steelhead any better. It would be up to the band to control this fishery to a level that is sustainable which would be pretty much zero. Here time will tell how good stewards of a natural resources this band can be.

My understanding was that band members needed authorization from their leaders to harvest fish legally under food fishery. A lot of hard work is being done by band members to preserve the fishery. It is not under some young gangsta, warrior wannabe to make the decision on when to put out nets and reverse the efforts of others. The low populations of chinook and steelhead should not be on the menu.

My understanding was that band members needed authorization from their leaders to harvest fish legally under food fishery. A lot of hard work is being done by band members to preserve the fishery. It is not under some young gangsta, warrior wannabe to make the decision on when to put out nets and reverse the efforts of others. The low populations of chinook and steelhead should not be on the menu.

Can you tell us what the band members are doing to resolve this problem of harvesting of steelhead at this time?

Can you tell us what the band members are doing to resolve this problem of harvesting of steelhead at this time?

I doubt they are doing anything, even though they have their own peace officers. I personally believe that if the elders don't do anything they are condoning it. But, to not paint all FN's with the same brush, many are active participants in salmon enhancement and Cowichan recovery efforts, which makes this a particular shame.

Ok, a question here.
With regard to the "Telus" picture above, can anyone validate that it is:
Not photoshopped?
From the Cowichan area?
Current, as in from this or the last few years?

Without trying to stomp on anybody, I recall the cautions about posting up pictures of an alleged thief on Campbell River area marina last fall.

Thanks

Back