Cowichan River

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

The point is Leech you exaggerating the numbers of boats on the cowichan. I have never seen 30 boats on the flow, yes it gets busy but common 30 is a bit outta hand. The boyz called you on it, go back and edit or look like a newb...Ur choice:D

Pass the Pack

What's the most you've seen, Bags? I thought you rarely fished it so how would you know? Maybe I am exaggerating a tad, but 10? Come on... I've seen 10 just in the Stoltz parking lot.

I haven't seen thirty on the stamp.

9 or 10 on the Cowichan always seemed like a gong show to me. 30? Hmm... alot of those vehicles are secondary chase vehicles or things have dramatically changed on this river from what I have seen over the past decade.

Maybe I'm wrong. 30, I hope not. 500 steelhead only.......Wow has that ever plumeted.

Yah but 10 of the 20 were redneck halfwits drinking lucky and shooting mergansers from the boat w/ shotguns ...not fishing...the rods were just cover for their real loser party.

HEY BLACK...WHEN ARE WE HITTIN THE RIVER FOR SOME STEEL,,,,NOT NECESSARILY THE COW,,,AND LAST WED THERE WE ABOUT 8 -10 TRUCKS IN THE STOLTZ P/L AFTER THE PARTY I THINK......[:p]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

quote:Originally posted by Mouthhouse

Yah but 10 of the 20 were redneck halfwits drinking lucky and shooting mergansers from the boat w/ shotguns ...not fishing...the rods were just cover for their real loser party.

:D Maybe that's all there is to do on the river now? 10" trout, lucky, and mergansers?

r o t f l m a o true enuff [:eek:)]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Come on guys, post those slabs on here so we all can get a rise:D

No Steel for me......:(

got a 16 lbs hatchery a few weeks ago as well as 8 others (wild) just before the last big rain
will post pics later

Looking forward to seeing those.....[^]

Strong forecast for projected salmon return

By the Herald staff
Published: 03/06/10 9:21 am | Updated: 03/06/10 9:22 am

OLYMPIA -- A projected strong chinook salmon return to the Columbia River this summer could bolster fishing prospects in the river and off the Washington coast, according to the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Forecasts for chinook, coho, sockeye, pink and chum salmon -- developed by the department and treaty Indian trbes -- mark the starting point for developing 2010 salmon-fishing seasons in Puget Sound, the Columbia River and Washington coastal areas.

Fishery managers have scheduled a series of public meetings over the next few weeks to discuss potential fishing opportunities before finalizing seasons in mid-April.

Phil Anderson, director of Fish and Wildlife, said staff will work closely with tribal co-managers and constituents to develop fisheries that meet conservation objectives and provide fishing opportunities on abundant runs of wild and hatchery fish.

Fishery managers will consider adding new mark-selective fisheries, which allow anglers to catch and keep abundant hatchery salmon but require that they release wild salmon, said Pat Pattillo, salmon policy coordinator for the department.

Nearly 653,000 fall chinook are predicted to make their way along the Washington coast to the Columbia River this season, about 234,000 more chinook than last year's actual return.

The increased numbers represent abundant returns to Spring Creek and other Columbia River hatcheries. But the expected Columbia River coho return is expected to be down this year.

Nearly 390,000 Columbia River coho are projected to make their way along Washington's coast this year, compared to one million coho in 2009.

"The Columbia River coho return is down compared to last year's run, which was one of the largest returns we've seen in the last decade," Pattillo said. "But there should still be decent coho fishing opportunities in the ocean and the Columbia River this year."

SORRY I didnt get the last sentance ...
It is...will this effect any of the Islands rivers and creeks? Mainly the Cowichan , Nitnat, San Juan,Harris,Gordon.....?

No probs, I have been at all of them in the past month but no steel....haven't even seen one.....?

No probs, I have been at all of them in the past month but no steel....haven't even seen one.....?

Chromer on the Cow yesterday. Spoon. Water in in excellent shape, great colour and good vis... clear but not too clear. Cool day, light drizzle at times. Had to work hard for a fish, but saved the day right at the end. Even sweeter!

Too bad this river is so screwed up. It looks like it should be teeming with fish. Sad.

Back