Courtenay / Comox SFAC meeting

You're welcome....I'd be remiss if I didn't add that another suggestion for future consideration, was to have a halibut stamp. Proceeds from this stamp could be used to purchase some of the commercial TAC for the recreational sector. I'm not sure, but this would seem to open up a can of worms. Seems to go against what they were trying to avoid, not sure of this reasoning ....but at least we know about it, and we can voice our opinions on it at future meetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome....I'd be remiss if I didn't add that another suggestion for future consideration, was to have a halibut stamp. Proceeds from this stamp could be used to purchase some of the commercial TAC for the recreational sector. I'm not sure, but this would seem to open up a can of worms. Seems to go against what they were trying to avoid, not sure of this reasoning ....but at least we know about it, and we can voice our opinions on it at future meetings.

Rec fishing interests (SFAB) buying quota is nothing new.

Buying individual quota would be new and be the detriment of all sportfishers as the precedent would be set.

x2 on the halibut stamp! seems like a no brainer, get an acurate number of people targeting halibut, have a spot on the licence for recording catch the
same as ling and spring and have a requirement to return the licence at the end of the year so we can begin to get some better accuracy on numbers
caught. some of the proceeds could go to paying for this data collection, conservation or buying quota. $10? $20 $30+ per stamp really not that much in the big picture x that by 40000 hali fishermen and that starts to add up to quite a bit of dough!

x2 on the halibut stamp! seems like a no brainer, get an acurate number of people targeting halibut, have a spot on the licence for recording catch the same as ling and spring and have a requirement to return the licence at the end of the year so we can begin to get some better accuracy on numbers caught. some of the proceeds could go to paying for this data collection, conservation or buying quota. $10? $20 $30+ per stamp really not that much in the big picture x that by 40000 hali fishermen and that starts to add up to quite a bit of dough!

40,000 Halibut fishermen?

I sincerely doubt it. More like 15,000 i'll bet.

I can't wait to see the numbers.

x2 on the halibut stamp! seems like a no brainer, get an acurate number of people targeting halibut, have a spot on the licence for recording catch the same as ling and spring and have a requirement to return the licence at the end of the year so we can begin to get some better accuracy on numbers caught. some of the proceeds could go to paying for this data collection, conservation or buying quota. $10? $20 $30+ per stamp really not that much in the big picture x that by 40000 hali fishermen and that starts to add up to quite a bit of dough!

Hope this works. BCboy get a wiff of this.

trollspray.jpg

Perhaps you and your slipper skippers friends could start your own thread and leave our threads alone.
It's really annoying having you on this site just to post the slipper skipper talking points.
If you could actually have some independent thought we might find it refreshing.

Tell me this .... why should I go out and pay you money for something I already own?

Hope this works. BCboy get a wiff of this.

View attachment 3373

Perhaps you and your slipper skippers friends could start your own thread and leave our threads alone.
It's really annoying having you on this site just to post the slipper skipper talking points.
If you could actually have some independent thought we might find it refreshing.

Tell me this .... why should I go out and pay you money for something I already own?

Just a question , maybe i missed the boat here lol !!!

whats wrong with having an Annual Hali Stamp ,

recording ur catch on the back of ur license , just like Ling cod , and submit ur license at the end of the year ??
if ya get caught with Halibut un-recorded in transport , ya pay ur fine as per ??
New License not to be renewed until they have the previous years in hand ?? ( somthing along this line )
help get rid of the VooDoo Math , just askin ? sorry if i missed somthing here ??? ,
just tryin ta understand it all is all

thx

FD

Just a question , maybe i missed the boat here lol !!!

whats wrong with having an Annual Hali Stamp ,

recording ur catch on the back of ur license , just like Ling cod , and submit ur license at the end of the year ??
if ya get caught with Halibut un-recorded in transport , ya pay ur fine as per ??
New License not to be renewed until they have the previous years in hand ?? ( somthing along this line )
help get rid of the VooDoo Math , just askin ? sorry if i missed somthing here ??? ,
just tryin ta understand it all is all

thx

FD

I don't have all the answers but there is something to do with the "user fee act"
What can be charged and what can not be charged fall under the guidelines of the act.
As I said not sure what the details were but was told it's a non starter unless many years of paperwork to make it happen.
There was something else I recall that the DFO was not allowed to charge the public for a resource they all ready owned.

In regards to sending in your halibut data at the end of the year with your license.
How would we know when we reached our quota and when should we be shut down?
I have heard ideas on a web based system to track but I think not everyone has access to computers.
Currently we have Chinook salmon on our e-license but I have never used it.

The main problem is to design a system that would be acceptable to IPHC
The commercials would like us to have dock side monitoring and cameras, just like them.
That's fair if you want to spend thousands for the gear to go harvest 2 halibut.
That would leave a lot of guys out of the fishery and more for the commercials.
That would be why they are pushing us down that road.

There is lots of ideas out there like some kind of tag you get with your license.
Lets say 3 tags per license..... but how would that work if you do the math.
1,000,000lbs / 60 pounds (3tags at 20lbs) = 16,666 users.
So know we would need some kind of draw.

I don't claim to have any of the answers but I do know why you see these halibut trolls are on here.
They are rocking the boat and pitting one rec fisherman against another.
They mean to sink us so they can have all the money (halibut).

Why is it called Vodoo math? perhaps the commercials what it to be called that.
Officially from SFAB, DFO and IPHC our numbers are within 95% accuracy with our current system.
I know that's not 100% but do we want dock side monitors at all the boat launches.
Who is going to pay for that? Us... yup and we will need to pay for that.
Can you say mega bucks to be collected by the halibut stamp program.
Commercials know that it would be costly and that would drive us out of the sport.
Then they would get all the money (halibut).
GLG

I heard it is too costly and difficult to change the current layout to license. They don't want to redesign it?
I've said before it should look like a hunting license with a page per species and stamp.
How do we know of all of the Saltwater licenses sold, how many anglers are targeting each species?

I think Min of Environment does good job of managing the hunting resource. (others may disagree)
Maybe they should take over for DFO.

Tips

Tips Up I have heard that it would be a two page license and no it's not too hard or too expensive.
Everything is being looked at, including halibut $tamp.
SFAB is looking at all the tools in the bucket, as they should.
We want them to be experts at all the different ways to manage halibut.
When questions are asked they will be prepared with answers, given enough time to do there homework.

One thing we could do to help them would be to get more allocation.

FD, you are correct. Recent updates made to the legislation to allow better management of the Salmon Conservation Stamp which would allow for similar application for a Hali Stamp. There have been past situations where the Rec fleet purchased quota, so this is nothing new. So a stamp with yearly limit on number of fish retained would be a good start. Hopefully some on this site have a better understanding of why the slot limit proposal went forward and the reasons behind the time crunch. Pretty obvious if you wanted to pay attention to what was going on...not so if you wanted to hunt down a scapegoat. River Rat nailed it bang on.

As for the SFAC process, it is a simple process and if you are involved it is an excellent way to get informed as to the challenges and science behind the allocation decisions DFO are wrestling with. It is also a good way to be heard and put forward well reasoned proposals. There are also opportunities to get directly involved in helping set up meetings, build proposals and attend other committees. There is a lot of expertise sitting around the SFAC rooms from community to community, and many of the "volunteers" are as well informed as DFO staff. So I wouldn't be so quick to scoff at the process and individuals sitting around that table.

Local SFAC process proposals are forwarded and discussed at the South Coast Board and eventually elevated to the Main Board where the level of detail and precision in decision making improves. So you can't judge the whole SFAB process by what you see happening at one SFAC meeting. Go and sit in on the Main Board SFAB meeting as an observer, you will be very surprised (you can't speak unless you have a formal seat at the table or have been invited to do so).

Say we do have a hali stamp and we have to return to dfo after the lic year(Mar 31st), how would they make that timely decision for the up-coming season? And if it was mandatory to return old lic before you are issued a new one, I wonder what the percent would have missplaced it or ?!?! It would seem for dfo to count the numbers would be labour intensive and costly and probably will end up in a filing cabinet. Cant see the problem anyway cause dfo and the halibut commision seem to think the numbers are fairly accurate. Cant see a stamp working that way except dfo would get a better idea of how many people are fishing halibut. More for the vodoo math! Why buy tac its already the peoples! All this does is skirt the real issue! 2-cents

By Ralph Shaw - Comox Valley Record
Published: March 30, 2012 10:00 AM

I think it was Genghis Khan who said, "May you live in interesting times." I am not certain how far he was looking into the future, but our times certainly qualify on many fronts. Fisheries issues are looming large: the common property aspects of the halibut resource and the current reported plans to take "habitat protection" out of the Fisheries Act are two vexing problems.
At the Area 14 Sport Fishery Advisory Committee (SFAC) meeting on March 19, the following motion was pasted unanimously:
Halibut Management Motion
"Whereas the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans has only increased the recreational Halibut Quota from 12% to 15% of the Canadian Total Allowable Catch of Pacific halibut, and
"Whereas this allocation is insufficient to allow a full (Feb.l to Dec. 31) season fishery, with catch limits of two halibut per day and three in possession, and
"Whereas the late announcement of the new allocation by the minister has placed the Sport Fishery Advisory Board in an untenable position of designing a management strategy in a short time frame for the 2012 recreational season that:
"A) Included an untried management regime of one fish per day and 2 in possession with conditions that one fish could only be any size, but the second fish must be under 83cm or 151bs in the round in order to stay within the assigned 2012 Total Allowable Catch (TAG)
"B) Did not allow for the consultation with local SFAC s for their input:
"Be It Therefore Resolved the Department of Fisheries and Oceans be asked to consider this year's regulatory measures as EXPERIMENTAL and that discussions re various additional options be available at certain levels of the TAG for 2013 start taking place with the SFAB Halibut Working Group in a timely manner such that local SFACs have adequate consultation and input into the 2013 recreational halibut management plan."
If you wonder about the history behind this motion it was not very long ago that the recreational allocation of the Canadian TAG was 20 per cent. It is interesting to observe that democracies make big issues out of the freedom of their citizens, but when it comes to managing common property resources they frequently give large portions of the commons to the private sector – as in the historic case of the E&N Land Grant on the east coast of Vancouver Island.
It is justified as an easy out for management of the commons; however when the bottom line is profit for the owner of the resource, the local citizens must stand on the sidelines while their value-added jobs go elsewhere as in the raw log exports from Vancouver Island. The value-added jobs from the recreational fishery in small coastal communities is real in maintaining their varied resource bases to survive.
• • •
Another matter of urgent concern is the reported plan to amend the Fisheries Act to remove Habitat Protection from certain sections of the act. The assumed purpose of this amendment is to facilitate industrial developments such as mines and pipelines to be built without rigorous protection of fishery habitat,
In Turning the Tide - A New Policy for Canada's Pacific Fisheries - The Commission on Pacific Fisheries Policy Final Report by Commissioner Peter H. Pearse in September 1982 we find the following quote in italics on page 19, Chapter 3 - Habitat Management:
"When fish habitat is lost or threatened, the fish stocks and species which depend upon it for food, protection and reproduction are similarly lost or threatened. In short, if habitat goes, so eventually do the fish...." Submitted by the British Columbia Wildlife Federation.
In the second paragraph on Page 19 we find the following - "In a more fundamental sense, the resource base is the natural environment that supports fish. Unless the quality and productivity of the aquatic habitat is maintained, even the best of stock management will be to no avail. Whenever the environment that fish depend on for food or reproduction is damaged the fish are threatened. Thus, the protection of aquatic habitat is considered by many to be the 'first and foremost' problem of fisheries policy."
In this regard I suggest the Baynes Sound fishery is threatened by a proposed coal mine on its watershed and we should be concerned.

Ralph Shaw is a master fly fisherman who was awarded the Order of Canada in 1984 for his conservation efforts. In 20 years of writing a column in the Comox Valley Record it has won several awards.

http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/sports/144734115.html

Wow I guess I need to come visit this Forum more often didnt even know there was a Meeting Mar 19 LOL. Must have been a Big Turnout Monday Morning at 0900. Had to work anyways.

Back