Counter rotating Honda

stumpy

Question .
I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 Honda 200 counter rotating outboard.
I plan on using it as a single on a 21ft Monaro.
My question is about switching it to a standard rotation "if" the lower gear case ever packed it in .
A standard rotation would be easier to find than a counter rotating lower end .
Also ... is there any downside to running a counter rotating prop as a lone single outboard ?
Any thoughts?

I have a counter rotatating 140 Suzuki on my weldcraft and there isn't a notable difference in performance or fuel economy from a standard rotation 140 suzuki which I had on a 20' harbercraft.

It took a while to find a counter rotating prop and the only ones available for Suzuki are stainless. I looked into a counter rotating gear case but it was pricey.

Last edited:
Question .
My question is about switching it to a standard rotation "if" the lower gear case ever packed it in .
Also ... is there any downside to running a counter rotating prop as a lone single outboard ?
Any thoughts?

Replacing a gearcase is not cheap and I hesitate to buy such an item used (not cheap either). When my outboard's gearcase packed it in I decided to purchase a new outboard which of course came with a warrantee and sold the old one.

Thanks for the responses .
I don't plan on replacing the gearcase , it was just one of those " worst case scenario " situations.

Question .
Any thoughts?
As long as you can get the leg off. They used to be known for not "unsticking" very easily.

takes some time getting used to docking on a counter single if you are used to a standard. Not many used standards around .

If you have a transom mounted sonar transducer, it will probably have to be relocated to opposite side of engine.

I wonder if it has that little adjustable fin to counter the paddle wheel effect?

Back