Cougar ???

jeffywestcoast

JW Cougar.JPG
JW Cougar.JPG

Found these tracks today in a FSR up island , what do you think??

Attachments

• JW Cougar 1.JPG
    JW Cougar 1.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Tough to tell as I think not one, but both pics are upside down. :p

But yup....I'd certainly say you're right. ;)

Next time put something up next to them for reference. The pad looks weak. How big? We need more info bud :).

Agree on a reference/closer pic....come on Jeffy!!!! :p

They certainly to me seem with the overall round front paw with the rounded pads and the shape of the rear pad in the same print say cat. Zooming in on my iPad too there really aren't any claw marks in the tracks which if there were would point to canine.

I'm no huge expert, but from tracks I have seen in the snow before I'd be guessing a 'puddy-tat'. :p

I wonder how my zoomed screenshot will work?

image.png

Last edited:
I should have put something beside for scale but they were pretty big around , followed them up fresh covered road, then the animal appears to have rolled around in the fresh snow and off into the timber.. was grous tracks too so he probably had a little grouse snack and moved on .. cook creek FSR about mile 1o or so..

Agree on a reference/closer pic....come on Jeffy!!!! :p

They certainly to me appear too rounded to be wolf with the more rounded front paw and rounded pads....zooming in on my iPad too there really aren't any claw marks in the tracks which if there were would point to canine.

I'm no huge expert, but from tracks I have seen in the snow before I'd be guessing a 'puddy-tat'. :p

I wonder how my zoomed screenshot will work?

View attachment 30638
Agree 100% no claw marks and too round for wolf, they were as big around as a fist..

Could they be from a Bobcat, I believe they are on the island.

I thought Jeff may of just had small hands. Lol

If they were cougar you might see a line dragged into the snow from it's tail dragging. not an expert but cougars have pretty long tails that often drag a bit I would think... although looking at google images this doesn't always seem to be the case.

dsc02527compressed.jpg
DSC02049.JPG

Last edited:
Yep they do. Lots of cougar up here and they often leave a tail trail. I don't know if there's lynx on the island or not but a lynx track can easily be as large as a cougar track.

Back