Cork replacement - mooching rod

littlechucky

Crew Member
I have a pair of G Loomis mooching rods which have been beat up from the rods holders.

Is there someone / somewhere which can replace the cork?

Lower mainlain preferred.

Thanks!

Is it possible to replace cork without removing the eyes due to the taper of the blank? Curious about that.

Is it possible to replace cork without removing the eyes due to the taper of the blank? Curious about that.
Yes, You would build from the bottom up so the upper cork rings would need some sort of arbor, like masking tape. Use rod bond or a similar epoxy and use a clamp. If you are going to do this yourself it is cost effective but if you use a rod builder it may end up costing more than the rod is worth.

paguy has a good suggestion ..

Depending on how bad the corks are I have sanded or filled the cork and the x flocked or heat shrink tubing over the cork.

RD

Dave from this site does some of the best rodwork hands down.
All my rods when broken or new builds go through him.
Quick and not too pricey. You pay for what you get and usually pretty quick turn around time.

If it’s just the bottom cork you can replace it with graphite tubing. I’ve made a few rods with graphite on the bottom to eliminate the beating from the rod holders. Just need a cork insert between the reel seat and graphite tubing. I will post a pic.

for
Shimano Convergence Salmon/Steelhead Mooching Casting Rod - 2-Piece, Medium
Item #532MX

I purchased 35mm black and it worked perfectly. Measure the widest part of the cork handle with calipers and order the size that barely goes over that section

Does anyone know the size of tubing needed for the New Shimano Technium's?

If it’s just the bottom cork you can replace it with graphite tubing. I’ve made a few rods with graphite on the bottom to eliminate the beating from the rod holders. Just need a cork insert between the reel seat and graphite tubing. I will post a pic.
I got that exact same thing done to my loomis been like 5 years now best thing ive ever done for those rods

Back