Cool Google Maps Application

TenMile

Google Maps launched a cool little application today called Latitude. It's an application that runs on a variety of mobile phones (mostly smart phones) that has the ability to show people on a map where you are located. It can either work by showing them the cell tower near you (good for a range of a couple of kms -- so not pinpoint) or if you have a built in or bluetooth GPS, it can provide an exact location.

I see this as a nice little safety addition for boaters/fishermen/hikers. Turn the service on when you go out and friends/family can see where you are. Very cool for fishing "buddies" as you can share your exact location with them so they can join you (or help you).

There is the obvious downside for those who don't want others to know where they are -- you can "set" a location and/or turn it off. Your location is only made visible to those you invite to share. Pretty cool -- I tried it out today using only the cell signal and it located me to within a few hundred yards. I have a bluetooth GPS and it will be able to pinpoint my exact location.

google.com/latitude

Back