Cool Basking Shark Info..

Has anyone actually seen one of these things while fiahing?

Well, never while fiahing..... But it is surprising.

My fist blue was inside of Swiftsure... My bud punched a GW around Amphratrite (sp)

A friend of mine was diving in pugeot sound in an area known for 6 or 7 gill sharks, can't remember which...but he damn near landed on top of one of them when he reached the floor. Couple feet from touch down he sees a large shark shaped bulge on a flat sandy floor, moments later the bulged darted and he was left to land in a massive cloud of dust from the suprised shark...

sharks are neat. I want to catch one.

Has anyone actually seen one of these things while fiahing?

I saw one once in Holford Bay in Barkley Sound. It was enormous and a very cool sight.

There was a fellow in a 22ish foot boat there that time, he was standing up on the bow with a spinning rod in his hand jigging and the shark was approaching his boat from the stern, the fellow was facing towards the bow so he had his back to it. We watched him as this giant slowly crept up on him doing it's thing when all of a sudden he caught sight of it. It was pretty humorous when he reeled in at lightening speed, flashed up the engine and got out of there at what seemed like Mach 1. I guess he had no idea the thing was completely harmless. It was pretty funny and we had a good giggle over it.

That's the only time I can remember ever seeing one.

I heard that the old eradication program involved using boats designed to cut them in half and running them over.

I heard that the old eradication program involved using boats designed to cut them in half and running them over.

Through the late 1940s, the sharks were targeted for their 1,000-pound (450 kg), oil-rich livers. In Canadian waters, basking sharks were the target of an official eradication program, which ended only in 1970, because of their habit of crashing through fishermen's nets.
The sharks, declared a species of concern in 2010, haven't rebounded. Data suggest that the sharks can live up to 50 years, yet reproduce slowly, gestating young between 2.5 to 3.5 years, with a lag time of 22 to 35 years between generations.

Brentwood/Saanich Inlet used to home to quite a few back in the day

Back