Cooking Pinks

B

bhemi

All my fishing buddies say pinks taste awful and aren't worth keeping except for smoking. I was with a rookie buddy and he bonked one before I id'ed it. I cleaned it and froze it whole. Anyone have recipe or is it cat food?

I hate to admit it but yes I have eaten a pink......barbeque the same day. Bleed them and KEEP THEM COOL if they get mushy they are no good , I don't like them once they have been frozen, have to agree with Craven there.DAN

Don't know the reason why they get a bad rap - pinks i've ever had have always tasted great to me and my family - i'd much rather have 5 bbq size pinks vs 1 big slab o spring to fight with. Just try putting lots of butter, with lemon slices and lots of parsley seasoning inside the cavity and wrap it up in tinfoil. BBQ around 350-400 turning a couple times until its no longer 'red' at the backbone (usually about 1/2 hour to 40min for a 5 pounder). If you cook it too long, it will taste like plain chicken, but get it just right, its awesome (unless maybe your a fine restaurant snob or something). No issue fresh or fresh frozen (just make sure you freeze them right and eat them within 6 months!)

quote:Originally posted by Deewar25

Don't know the reason why they get a bad rap - pinks i've ever had have always tasted great to me and my family - i'd much rather have 5 bbq size pinks vs 1 big slab o spring to fight with. Just try putting lots of butter, with lemon slices and lots of parsley seasoning inside the cavity and wrap it up in tinfoil. BBQ around 350-400 turning a couple times until its no longer 'red' at the backbone (usually about 1/2 hour to 40min for a 5 pounder). If you cook it too long, it will taste like plain chicken, but get it just right, its awesome (unless maybe your a fine restaurant snob or something). No issue fresh or fresh frozen (just make sure you freeze them right and eat them within 6 months!)

x2

Nothin wrong with canning them either.

quote:Originally posted by bhemi

All my fishing buddies say pinks taste awful and aren't worth keeping except for smoking. I was with a rookie buddy and he bonked one before I id'ed it. I cleaned it and froze it whole. Anyone have recipe or is it cat food?
Actually pinks taste ok if you use the following cooking method;
Butterfly the whole salmon on top of a piece of aluminum foil.With a sharp filleting knife slice salmon lenghtway (head to tail). Pour equal parts Teriyaki sauce and Soya sauce over the entire fish. Sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar: pepper,salt (lightly),sqeeze of lime juice (or lemon)..lime is best. Add 2 or 3 pads of margaurine or butter. Sprinkle entire fish lightly with garlic salt.Cover and seal bottom foil to a top layer of foil..shiny side in.
Place on BBQ. on medium heat ...check at 5 minutes for foil to have
risen. After 10 minutes of steaming ( foil inflated )slice open the foil and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes - check for doneness - ..filets flaking and backbone easy to remove . Smother in garlic butter ... or olive oil/butter, dill weed and garlic. ENJOY.!!!:D

quote:Originally posted by perch

quote:Originally posted by bhemi

Actually pinks taste ok if you use the following cooking method;
Butterfly the whole salmon on top of a piece of aluminum foil.With a sharp filleting knife slice salmon lenghtway (head to tail). Pour equal parts Teriyaki sauce and Soya sauce over the entire fish. Sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar: pepper,salt

[:I]I forgot to mention that you should leave the fish in the refrigerator or a cooler ( if Camping) for at least 12 hours before cooking...longer in a cool location the better the marinade becomes.:D:D enjoy!(lightly),sqeeze of lime juice (or lemon)..lime is best. Add 2 or 3 pads of margaurine or butter. Sprinkle entire fish lightly with garlic salt.Cover and seal bottom foil to a top layer of foil..shiny side in.
Place on BBQ. on medium heat ...check at 5 minutes for foil to have
risen. After 10 minutes of steaming ( foil inflated )slice open the foil and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes - check for doneness - ..filets flaking and backbone easy to remove . Smother in garlic butter ... or olive oil/butter, dill weed and garlic. ENJOY.!!!:D

Fillet partially thawed pink, Leave the scales on since the skin is going to char and be inedible anyhow. Cut into 3 pieces per side.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup good soy sauce (no china lily)
1 tsp minced fresh ginger (or sprinkle of powdered)
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
2 ounces sake or rum or rye(optional or drink over ice!)
heat all this in a pot, gently boil to thicken, but don't burn it or turn it into gooey caramel.

Oil barby grill. Place dorsal edge of fish toward chef so the spatula slides under the skin when flipping more easily. Cook over hot grill skin side down for 2 minutes, then start to baste, closing lid in between. When fish is 3/4 done, flip for a few minutes.
If the skin sticks, just slide the spatula between the flesh and the skin and flip the fish onto the stuck skin and baste the other side too. If the skin doesn't stick only baste the one side.

Great on pinks, cohoes and sox.
Cut back on the butter for springs: their high fat can cause too many flare-ups and the smoke will cause ugly soot if you're not careful.
Try it, you'll keep more pinks after this!

Back