cooking a sh#$ty cut of beef...

Degree of Freedom

ended up the not-so-proud owner of a 10 lb eye of round...probably the toughest roast you can buy, but 10 lbs of beef for $12...who could resist? So off to the mighty internet for an answer...

Tried this tonight and it works amazing!

3 pound eye of round
seasoning

1. preheat oven to 500 F
2. place roast in pan (uncovered) into oven. reduce temp to 475 F. roast for 21 mins or 7 mins/lb then turn off oven and let roast sit in hot oven for 2-1/2 hrs...DO NOT open oven door during this time!
3. remove from oven, internal temp should have reached min 145 F. Eat and enjoy

Still certainly not a prime rib...but for an eye of round, pretty damn good!

For the cheaper, tougher, cuts like this I use a cast iron pot. Wrap the roast up in tin foil, put in the pot and slow cook it as you say for at least 2-3 hours on low heat. Meat has a lot of flavour and falls apart with a fork.

low and slow will turn any cut of meat into butter, pressure cooks very well if you're short on time though. 45 mins in a pressure cooker works wonders on a roast.

ended up the not-so-proud owner of a 10 lb eye of round...probably the toughest roast you can buy, but 10 lbs of beef for $12...who could resist? So off to the mighty internet for an answer...

Something else you can do if the whole piece is vacuum bagged is to put the whole sealed bag in the back of the fridge for 3-4 weeks and wet age it. It won't get the rich flavour of dry aging, but it should get considerably more tender and it's not time consuming like dry aging. I wet age a whole top sirloin, which is decent to start with, but after 3 weeks it's as tender as fresh tenderloin.

For the cheaper, tougher, cuts like this I use a cast iron pot. Wrap the roast up in tin foil, put in the pot and slow cook it as you say for at least 2-3 hours on low heat. Meat has a lot of flavour and falls apart with a fork.

Are you guys putting anything on it before you cook it for hours? Like salting? Or throwing any herbs / veggies / potatoes in the pan? Or just cooking the meat? I would love to hear what sort of seasonings and spices make it taste the best...

I sometimes will throw a can of mushroom soup over the roast before wrapping in foil.

Lorne, we do the slow cooker thing too, but find that some cuts don't come out as tender. If you do however use the slow cooker, make sure you brown the roast over high heat first, it seals in moisture and makes the meat look more appetizing.

The nice thing about this over the slow cooker is you still get that yummy roasted outside and the pink inside. Anyone can cook a pot roast....this is an idiot proof true roasted flavour

I like to cook briskets. I usually let them sit in the back if my beer fridge for three or four weeks before I trim them. The result is a much more plyable piece of cow. Ten hours of smoking and foil don't hurt either.

Take a bottle of spiced rum, put the beef in a pressure cooker with some steak spice And enough water to cover, seal the cooker, and in an hour to hour and a half you should have a fairly edible piece of beef, and half a bottle of rum left after its done. If its still no good, finish the rum, and by then, anything will taste good.

Merry Christmas
Stosh

Back