simple foolproof salmon

sly_karma

Crew Member
Mix soy sauce and maple syrup to your preferred balance of salty vs sweet. Marinate skin-on deboned salmon fillets in the mixture for 20-30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 450 F. Put the fillets on a tinfoil-covered cookie sheet, sprinkle with lemon pepper or lime pepper seasoning. Roast the salmon uncovered for 10 minutes then check with a fork for doneness. Thicker pieces might need a couple more minutes. Use a large spatula to take the fillets off their skin as you serve. While the salmon is cooking, gently boil and slightly reduce the marinade. Drizzle a bit on the salmon as you serve it on a bed of rice.

It seems counterintuitive to roast fish uncovered because juices will escape and dry it out, but this works really well. The key is the high heat, it sears the outside of the fillet right away and seals in the juices. This method is time-tested and will produce moist fish every time. And unlike wrapping it in tinfoil, you can see easily if the fish is fully cooked.

Used this one a few times now and love it. Having it tonight as a matter of fact. Had to look it up for temp.

Thanks for posting.

Mix soy sauce and maple syrup to your preferred balance of salty vs sweet. Marinate skin-on deboned salmon fillets in the mixture for 20-30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 450 F. Put the fillets on a tinfoil-covered cookie sheet, sprinkle with lemon pepper or lime pepper seasoning. Roast the salmon uncovered for 10 minutes then check with a fork for doneness. Thicker pieces might need a couple more minutes. Use a large spatula to take the fillets off their skin as you serve. While the salmon is cooking, gently boil and slightly reduce the marinade. Drizzle a bit on the salmon as you serve it on a bed of rice.

It seems counterintuitive to roast fish uncovered because juices will escape and dry it out, but this works really well. The key is the high heat, it sears the outside of the fillet right away and seals in the juices. This method is time-tested and will produce moist fish every time. And unlike wrapping it in tinfoil, you can see easily if the fish is fully cooked.

Excellent points! That's why a barbecue pre-heated to 500 degrees plus works so well for salmon. A sign of doneness is a small amount of white juice seeping from the sides of the salmon. This is an indication that the fat juices have reached proper temperature. Usually only takes 5-7 minutes per inch of thickness. The salmon will continue to cook after you remove it from the barbecue or oven.

I prefer my salmon cooked plain with only salt and pepper. I find marinating can affect the cooking time and often results in over cooked salmon . We usually have a couple of homemade sauces that we spoon on top of the salmon after it's cooked. Equal parts of maple syrup, soya sauce and lemon juice is a favorite.

Our favourite for salmon is a marinate with maple syrup, soya sauce, minced garlic, lime juice, Old Bay seasoning, and Appleton's rum. BBQ preheated to 500*f and salmon cooked on water-soaked cedar planks for about 10 minutes. It's never disappointed anyone who's tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back