Conundrum: Save the salmon, kill the seals?

Sushihunter

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/live/article/81585

Conundrum: Save the salmon, kill the seals?

Eco-Minded by Kai Chan
July 10, 2008 05:50

Salmon stocks are at near-record lows and market prices are rising quickly. Should we blame warming oceans? Overfishing?

In Washington and Oregon, the apparent culprits are actually the large-eyed, cuddly kind. A government bill proposes to kill California sea lions that feed in abundance near dams and fish ladders. In B.C., we have a similar conundrum: Harbour seals are one of the suspects being fingered as causing salmon scarcity.

Harbour seals are more abundant than ever. They eat up to 60,000 tons of fish each year — double the peak fish catch in this area — contributing to potential local extinctions of coho salmon and herring populations.

These smart mammals are not just hunting for fish on their own. After watching fishermen pull up lines dangling with fresh fish, the seals have learned thieving ways.

This depredation encroaches on fish supply during an already slow season, which might drive down salmon-related tourism. According to Dr. Carl Walters of UBC’s Fisheries Centre, seals have changed the ecosystem dynamics, threatening the Strait of Georgia’s biodiversity and fish production.

So, kill the seals? The idea is not foreign: In Atlantic Canada, six species of seals are hunted for commercial purposes, causing considerable controversy with our European neighbours.

Should we do the same? Tampering with nature yields uncertain results: Protecting B.C. seals 30 years ago served a purpose but now degrades local fish stocks. Will culling the seals reverse these changes or will it trigger other unintended consequences? The world has changed, and reversing actions doesn’t always reverse consequences. Whichever course we choose, we can learn from it if we practise “adaptive management” — review our actions and learn from mistakes. We sure make enough of them — this way some good can come of it.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

kill the rats with flippers. right know at the mouth of the fraser I bet there are 200. and how much do the eat a day per seal. x 365 days that's alot of fish. and they are not stock specific. ie thompson steelhead and right know springs.

There used to be a bounty on seals. I say bring it back!!! Go to Winter harbour you don,t see any seals there. Suspect the locals killed the seal problem without fanfare. My two bits. Cheers FC

I thought the coastal Indians from California to Alaska use to hunt them am I wrong? If not they need to start it up again and witht a vengance [}:)]

Picture002-1.jpg

The natives may not eat them any more because of the pollution, but I'm willing to bet they would consider a monetary gesture. Anyone want to start a pool?

how come the natives don't want to do it under food and ceremonial purposes. Oh ya they can't sell it on the side of the road or in alberta

Nimo, Springtime--- careful now.. Both the Comox Band and the Qualicum Band have cooperated fully and supported a reduction hunt.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Nimo, Springtime--- careful now.. Both the Comox Band and the Qualicum Band have cooperated fully and supported a reduction hunt.

I wasn't intending to be disrespectful, I think it's a plausable good idea, if only a little stretching:). The natives may have the right to do it but, just like anyone, would need an incentive (and it appears that eating seals is off the table, parden the pun.)

I personally believe that we will have to align closer and closer with the native bands if we are ever to stop the overall mass-over fishing madness under DFO.

Nimo

Barkley Sound is out of control with the little bastards.

Three fish to them on Friday, two on Saturday. My boat alone.

Even at French Creek I've never had that many go to them in two days.

Gimee the gaff!!!

Back