Constructive comments as to Alpine Derby

Now that the word transparency has been abused, the next word this person should learn the meaning of is obnoxious and ungrateful. I have never seen volunteer work criticized to this degree before and I feel sorry for anyone who has put their own time into this event and has to read that.

Now that the word transparency has been abused, the next word this person should learn the meaning of is obnoxious and ungrateful. I have never seen volunteer work criticized to this degree before and I feel sorry for anyone who has put their own time into this event and has to read that.

I agree, an amazing amount of work goes into a multi day event of the caliber of the Derby. The initial post and anyone who complains, has never volunteered or organized anything, they have no idea of the money, time and effort it takes.

I have been unable to step up and volunteer, due to volunteering for several other non profits and a charity. I hope money was made, the derby is amazing value or money. Thank you for putting it on.

image.jpg
If guest2015 watched tv this winter on Sunday nights, she may know what the above scene entails as punishment :)
Sounds like a worth while derby, keep going you guys!

Well I gotta ask "THE QUESTION" would Guest2015 have created this thread if she and her family won the $25,000? I don't think so because it would have been the best Derby ever! We weighed in fish, didn't win any draw prizes. Am I disappointed about it? Nope. To me a derby is top 10 fish take it all. IMO, Giving kids a break on the ticket is a slippery slope. Surely to goodness people who spend money like boaters spend money can afford to buy a ticket or two for their kids. Why not just increase the the kids prizes to 3 instead of one prize? If there is one positive out come to her post is I think the Silva Bay Derby falls on the same weekend next year, it's closer to Vancouver so they can run the boat over, I think it's cheaper to enter so the grandkids can come too (maybe all the adults can buy one ticket each for the kids) and she can whip that Derby into shape!

I still remember the prize I won at the Hall's Boathouse Coho derby some 45? years ago. As a kid it meant something and perhaps more importantly, my expressed excitement as a child over the simple prize was a warm thank you to the volunteers passing them out. I agree with the previous post. Short and sweet big prizes for the top few grown-ups and lots of fun stuff for the youth. The big "kids" will have to get over it.;)

One thing you have to remember this thing is only at year 2 the original JDF derby had 25 years to make and correct its mistakes, And im more than sure the first few years they didnt sell 500 tickets..... im sure many more oooppps will be made They tried there very best with limited help.
Ill admit the food wasnt the best but now they know what to do moving on.

This is a HUGE learning curve I hope all the negativity doesn't detour you guys from continuing on I as feel its VERY important to help the fish..

Thanks from me personally...

Wolf

I can assure you it was not the same person for all three posts. I am Guest2015, Jill Hummerstone of Harrison Hot Springs. I would have used my name however the forum required a user name and I simply complied. The views expressed were mine and mine alone based on what I heard in the hall, my own questions and my observations.
As the moderator you should have been fully aware of my name because in order to register I was required to give my name and E-mail address. The same IP address is not necessarily the same dwelling but a shared wireless. Hmmmm first posts.......You bet.....that's not "rocket science". I think I made it clear I had never participated before.
Thanks for the work you do for this forum. It's very important that people's views be heard and unless there is foul language, violation of human or religious rights, i see no reason to remove submissions.

Guest, the issue is your post has great potential to set a non-paid hard working group of volunteers packing and putting a growing charitable event on its butt. You sent Chris Bos an email but didn't give him the courtesy of a day or two to reply before taking out which is basically an add in a fishing newspaper and spreading unfounded rumours. You insinuated fraud had taken place in the draws without taking the time to get the facts first. Kinda like vigilante justice...hang em first ask questions later.

Have to be pretty narrow minded to not look at the big picture , i have missed weigh in at the silva bay derby three years in a row, i hope to win one year , but i sleep well knowing my 25 bucks is supporting a salmon enhancement initiative securing the resource for future generations...hats off to any volunteers that helps to make this possible...in any derby....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has been a very enlightening read.
I haven't participated in this derby as I can't afford it but reading about the need and the challenges with getting younger folks out I intend to volunteer next year.
I am 33 with 2 boys under 4 and they'll hopefully be another generation of fisherman participating in the derby and maybe volunteering themselves!

Show some appreciation. ..instead of writing a 6 or 7 step derby transparency novel....go eat your 12.5 lb salmon..then phone rollie and tell him your sorry...infact apologize to all the people that went out of their way to provide u with a weekend of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a committee that hosted a big sports event every year for 20 years. We volunteered for various reasons. Some were retired looking to keep busy, others were looking to give something back to the cause that had been good to them or their kids. The best parts were the preparation meetings which always involved beer and food, and the lasting friendships that grew from the meetings and laughs. Everyone did their duties between meetings so when the event arrived we were ready. The event itself was full on, continuous hard work. There were enough brains in the room to make suggestions at the debrief for improvements the next year.
The only times committee members became disheartened were the two years we surveyed people looking for feedback. Bad move. Only the whiners respond, often using terms like old boys' club and transparency.
Honour your sponsors and committee members with a fiesta of some sort and a bit of swag; don't count the number of times people thank you (it won't be enough); look to yourselves to make improvements you feel are needed when you have the resources; recruit a few more people, but don't take the ones who sound like hockey mom's asking for the ref's whistle; and keep doing it for the fishery, the fish, and the fun. Avoid paying anyone; it can fester if you go beyond food, drink, a shirt/hat, and a handshake. Grow your next leaders from within a veteran committee, so people can step back when life gets in the way. Always ignore the whiners. Keep going.

I was on a committee that hosted a big sports event every year for 20 years. We volunteered for various reasons. Some were retired looking to keep busy, others were looking to give something back to the cause that had been good to them or their kids. The best parts were the preparation meetings which always involved beer and food, and the lasting friendships that grew from the meetings and laughs. Everyone did their duties between meetings so when the event arrived we were ready. The event itself was full on, continuous hard work. There were enough brains in the room to make suggestions at the debrief for improvements the next year.
The only times committee members became disheartened were the two years we surveyed people looking for feedback. Bad move. Only the whiners respond, often using terms like old boys' club and transparency.
Honour your sponsors and committee members with a fiesta of some sort and a bit of swag; don't count the number of times people thank you (it won't be enough); look to yourselves to make improvements you feel are needed when you have the resources; recruit a few more people, but don't take the ones who sound like hockey mom's asking for the ref's whistle; and keep doing it for the fishery, the fish, and the fun. Avoid paying anyone; it can fester if you go beyond food, drink, a shirt/hat, and a handshake. Grow your next leaders from within a veteran committee, so people can step back when life gets in the way. Always ignore the whiners. Keep going.
Great Post TB. So much wisdom in what you have written here. Bravo. "Illegitimus non-carborundum"

I want to thank the small number of individuals who volunteered and gave of themselves with countless unpaid hours to pull this Derby off. In doing so they provided funding for salmon and habitat enhancement and advance the interests of anglers to the benefit of us all.

Whether strata councils, clubs, non profits or volunteering each and every day to feed hatchery salmon, it seems to me it is always just a few who step up and work tirelessly and selflessly and do the actual heavy lifting without receiving personal benefit. They are rare individuals to be honored and valued.

Of those I know or know of involved in the organization of this Derby I can say to a person they have impressed me by their willingness to work themselves to excess. They have also impressed me by their integrity and honesty, and in the case of this Derby have taken exceptional measures to insure the fairness of the process.

I understand how cynicism develops with public leaders. One only has to look at a deteriorating political process where it seems far too many are increasingly there not to serve but to take, feed at the trough and trade favors and public money for future benefit while misappropriating huge amounts of tax dollars for purposes that do not actually serve the public. Those people are not these people.

Unfortunately exceptional selfless leaders such as those volunteers who stepped up to run this Derby will have to accept that some very small number of individuals will confuse the two, or succumb to their basic human pettiness and jalousies and be snapping at their heals with innuendo and baseless accusations. However, given the kind of people the Derby volunteers are, I don’t think it will discourage them.

Thanks again to all those who volunteered. Those of us who value Pacific salmon and I believe the vast majority of Derby participants thank you.

When I look back at this we are all making comments based on one rather rude opinion..Its one thing to say you don't like a derby. That is totally opinion. Its another to have something where a participant accuses the event with giving a prize to a child based on who his grandfather is. If that was my child I would be extremely pissed off with a comment like that. I found that rather low. Even if you heard it its not something you would broadcast on a public forum. Why would you not just phone the committee directly? But no you put it on a forum?

Being in the position we are these days there are several derbies that have folded based on lack of volunteers. There will be many more if we all dont get some help soon. Each one of these important to raise money for enhancement and generate money for community. Lets hope this event gets more sponsors, volunteers, and participants.

Lets put this thread to bed, and not glorify someone that won't be happy anyways. I am floored they came back on here and didn't even apologize.

You have to ask yourself is this event about prizes?...or is it about supporting a cause to put more fish back in ocean to ensure we have an opportunity in future? ... To me its more about supporting the enhancement side of things ,and have a friendly competition. We didn't get any prize and I am not losing sleep over it. BTW I big thank you to the committee please do it next year.

I too want to express my gratitude to the organizing committee, and also to the folks at Pedder Bay who also went above and beyond their "normal" duties in order to make this derby the success it clearly was. I didn't have a chance to participate in the derby but did take the time to check out the weigh in on Saturday and the excitement and enthusiasm was really tremendous. What a great vibe to see so many people simply enjoying and celebrating the sport of angling through raising funds to help secure it's future. Count on my support as a volunteer in setting the derby up next year. Not on the derby days though...I definitely plan on fishing it next year!!!

Jerrod you hit the nail on the head. My decision to respond to this thread in the first place was solely done because it was suggested that we picked some of the draw prize winners. It is sad that we have to video the process (and in hindsight fortunate we do it) because some people i guess feel cheated if they don't win and others do. I to was waiting for an apology from those who started this by a phone call or a private email to myself or Chris Bos. The fact that 2 days later thus has not happened speaks volumes as to the character of those persons involved. I'm happy that this thread was left open to allow us to respond and for others to show their support. I thank everyone who took the time to sit in front of their computer and voice their support, it really helped me get the sour taste out of my mouth. With some of the words written here I can once again remember why I do this.

Profisher, I echo exactly what you have written. I too thank everyone who has voiced their support. It is genuinely appreciated. And it makes up for an uninformed display of classlessness, from two who apparently feel no need to apologise for making libelous allegations.

Update - The West Shore RCMP have opened a file on the theft of the cooler. They've been to Eagleridge to view footage of the huge white Coleman Xtreme cooler walking out of the arena on various video cameras. We expect to identify who took it. Give the perps a heads up please. If anyone hears who might have taken it or hears on the grapevine who might be involved, it would be helpful to have them return it so this issue goes no further. If it isn't returned real soon and we identify who is involved, we plan to have the RCMP lay charges.

Just an update to let everyone know. The cooler has been recovered and it was an innocent mistake of thinking it belonged as a package with the zodiac boat that was right beside it. It was all resolved before the RCMP got to far along in their work. Once we have it delivered to Chris he will post the winners of the Banana Challenge of the Coalition's website. Also we are working on creating a stand alone website for the derby next year with a direct link to the coalition website. This will allow us to have a volunteer administer the derby website and get that job away from Chris who already has more than enough on his plate. It will allow us to post important info quicker and hopefully haved erby updates on the derby weekend posted in real time. We also want to create better exposure for our great sponsors.

Back