Concerned About My Boat Gas

eaglemaniac

I've had the same boat gas in my 25ltr. gas tanks for about 2 years now. I've added fuel stablizer but I'm still concerned about using it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.;) eman

add octane boost. check and or change filters every when needed.. got seporator?

Put it In your car,lawn mower, whatever. Or use it and see what happens. It won't hurt anything, might just run poorly. My buddies dad used his old gas as a weed killer, just an option.

Sent from my HTC

fill your car/truck gas up part way with fresh gas, then top it up with the old boat fuel and an octane booster.

I've had the same boat gas in my 25ltr. gas tanks for about 2 years now. I've added fuel stablizer but I'm still concerned about using it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.;) eman

When did you add the fuel stabilizer? It won't bring stale gas back, it will only keep fresh gas from going bad for up to a year. Do not burn it in your outboard. It may clog the jets in your carbs with varnish or the fuel injectors if you have them.

Two years is too long. Adding octane boost or additives like that will not make it useable.

Whatever you do,don't use it in your boat.If you put in your truck and it breaks down,worst case sinario is you walk home. Unless your
Jesus or something,its pretty tough to walk home from a mile offshore!

What ever you do with it do not get caught using it to kill weeds the EPA will come down on you like a ton of bricks. They don't like tackling the big guys on their spills but watch them go to town on you.

Put it In your car,lawn mower, whatever. Or use it and see what happens. It won't hurt anything, might just run poorly. My buddies dad used his old gas as a weed killer, just an option.

Sent from my HTC

id take it off yer hands for you ill burn it in my boat.... hell might have to make a trip of it LOL on second thought 5 gallons isnt enough to go fishing on....

Gas will stay for YEARS, if stored in a sealed container, regardless of type of gas! If stored in an open container, different story as it will start evaporating immediately. How long it will last, is strictly based on the environment stored. If stored in a nice dry garage, not subject to moister – burn it in whatever you want! If stored in an open container or subject to moisture and humidity, check it for water. With regular gas check the bottom of the container for water, as that is where the water will be, no water – burn it! If it is ethanol, check for ‘phase separation’ if there is none – burn it! If it makes you feel better… add some 'octane booster', which if stored in a sealed container will not be needed.

FYI... pouring it on the ground anywhere is NOT a good ideal!

I use old gas to start bonfires. I never run it in anything that i want to keep. It's not worth the risk to me.

Gas will stay for YEARS, if stored in a sealed container, regardless of type of gas! If stored in an open container, different story as it will start evaporating immediately. How long it will last, is strictly based on the environment stored. If stored in a nice dry garage, not subject to moister – burn it in whatever you want! If stored in an open container or subject to moisture and humidity, check it for water. With regular gas check the bottom of the container for water, as that is where the water will be, no water – burn it! If it is ethanol, check for ‘phase separation’ if there is none – burn it! If it makes you feel better… add some 'octane booster', which if stored in a sealed container will not be needed.

FYI... pouring it on the ground anywhere is NOT a good ideal!

This is dangerous advice. Two year old gas, even if the containers were mostly sealed, will have been exposed to oxygen. Over time the gasoline will oxidize into a liquid containing varnishes and gum like substances.

Who is going to be paying for your fuel system overhaul to clean out all the varnish? Certainly not members on the forum.

When I bought my fourstroke the guy told me the first thing you do nowadays to ANY gas that is stored over two weeks....add Fuel Stabilizer.

And he said if you store that gas for awhile....when you use it, add a little bit of car Fuel Injector Cleaner to it.

The guy owns Raymarine up in Ukee.

If it is gas that has been pre-mixed for a TW0-stroke with oil and has been sitting for a long long long time.......I would not use it.
Moreso because the oil will have changed and broken down by that time.

Thanks Seafever, I'm inclined to agree with your buddy at Raymarine regarding the oil breakdown. I appreciate everyones input. I sure wish there was a gas return depot in the Comox Valley. I have about 75 liters so maybe I'll try the mix it in with the truck gas thing and see how that goes. Just my luck, I'll be hauling the boat out to Kitty Coleman and my truck will break down.:);) eman

Back