Comox Valley gas wars

I'm still buying my gas from Costco on principle. If Costco were to stop selling gas the price everywhere would suddenly go back up to top dollar, including Safeway. The old price-fixing cartel would resume. I wrote to Costco head office and asked them to consider selling diesel as well.

Don't get sucked into why the price is going up and down It is purely a marketing ploy. By having the price high and low over about a week most people will time it so they buy when its low and feel good that they got a good price. Most people will be happy buying at 114 or 117 or 123 and didn't get stuck with an empty tank when its jacked up to 137. Ya right...you got suckered. You've forgotten what the real price should be when the barrel price is hovering between $76 and $86. It should be about 90 cents a litre. Their little ploy is working, people have lost track of where the normal price should be. They are making larger margins now even when the price is low and and a gouging you if you are stuck buying when it is high.

Well profisher.. agree that its all about marketing... but the point is that we are NOT paying the same price that they do in Campbell River or on the Mainland...... We would have been stuck the same as other areas if Costco didnt move into town. Sure we got suckered-- but not near as bad as the other areas LOL. BTW-- At the end of last month I was in the maritimes and also drove from Quebec City to Niagara Falls... The Comox valley price was the cheapest I saw with PEI a close second.

To hell with Costco, the whole thing stinks of corporate greed. Occupy Wall St. not a bad idea, to bad nobody with a job can afford to go camping! Seems like it attracted some well meaning people with some morons mixed in. What a mess!!

Oh, I don't think it is company greed, Wall Street, or anything else to do with the U.S. :)

Let’s see if I figure this right? US gallon is 3.78541178 liters @ $1.14 in Comox that = $4.315 CAD per US gallon = $4.26089 USD per gallon. Price of gas around here is $3.689 per US gallon = $3.74660 CAD = $0.98945 CAD per Liter. At $0.18055 CAD per liter HIGHER in Comox, or $0.683456 CAD per US Gallon you guys are paying $0.672886 USD per galon more than me….

I believe we all know Canada is the largest importer of U.S. oil and the Canadian labour rate is less than the U.S. Now, in case you don't know, a "lot" of that oil imported to the U.S. actually comes from the U.S. oil companies producing that oil in Canada.

If it was me... I would be looking at - Canada, BC, Local, and that thing called Road - "TAX"?

FYI... You think that gas tax is bad, how about this one? The state of Washington now charges over $30.00, in additional TAX per carton of cigaretts sold in Washington. That is above the federal and other Washington normal sales tax. Ever wonder just what you really do pay in all those TAXES?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your partially right Charlie in saying that a good part of the price of gas is caused by taxes. However, one can't deny that the price of gas is becoming less related to the price of crude oil and more about marketing and making profits over supply and demand for the product. The fact that gas where I live goes up and down 2-3 times within a week between 10+ cents a litre has nothing to do with govt. taxes, but everthing to do with clever marketing ploys and company greed as noted by profisher and Bag-Juan above.

Excuse me guys-- going out to fill the boat with non-ethanol gas that is the cheapest on the Island!!!! LOL!!!!! I am going to ride this one for as long as it lasts.... and THEN I'll set my hair on fire about nasty corporations like Walmart, Safeway, Costco, FutureShop, Lordco, Coca Cola, etc, etc, etc.... But for one moment in time, I ride cheaper than many of you!!!!! LOL ( the devil made me do it!!!)

Right on Whole in the Water, the four major world wide player's are all in bed with each other, sucking and licking each other til there's no tomorrow! The gas prices are what the customer will pay. Nothing to do with the price per barrel on the world market. The only thing that matter's to them is profit- the more the merrier. It's almost scary that they have allighned themselves up with each other to bassically do whatever they want. Whoever leads - the others will follow, no questions asked. Now my blood pressure is up, I may have to go camping at Centennial Square.

Now here's something that totally frustrates me. I called Columbia Fuels the other day to enquire about furnace fuel prices at this time and was told that they where $1.20 per litre. So I ask how can that be when fuel for a vehicle is only $1.15? When you consider all the additional road taxes etc. added to vehicle fuel I could not understand there pricing. It's not like I'm driving my furnace down the highway or anything. What's up with that. Of course no answer forthcoming.:mad: eman

The fact that gas where I live goes up and down 2-3 times within a week between 10+ cents a litre has nothing to do with govt. taxes, but everthing to do with clever marketing ploys and company greed as noted by profisher and Bag-Juan above.
Oh, I agree there! That just brought to my attention and I was just trying to point out how and why Canada (2nd largest oil reserve producing - in the world) is a Canadian paying $ .67 more (at those low prices) than a Yank living just 100 miles south?

Now here's something that totally frustrates me. I called Columbia Fuels the other day to enquire about furnace fuel prices at this time and was told that they where $1.20 per litre. So I ask how can that be when fuel for a vehicle is only $1.15? When you consider all the additional road taxes etc. added to vehicle fuel I could not understand there pricing. It's not like I'm driving my furnace down the highway or anything. What's up with that. Of course no answer forthcoming.:mad: eman

Been paying about 1.30 liter for diesel..same as furnace oil I think.. Why does costco not sell diesel?

Honestly i dont think twice about gas prices. It is a nessecary thing that me you and everyone else has no control over. The money these companies make are more then most countries, yes countries. Money = power. Oil runs the world. If you think differently, then you need to educate yourself of the back ground of any Really powerful leader in our world. They have all the power and there is zip **** all you can do about it. Dont like it ride your bike or buy an electric car and use a float tube instead of a boat.

Now on the note of comox. I love that gas prices are down, spent 12 grand LESS this year on my business and i added 2 vehicles. Last year i spent 84k last year running 5 trucks up and down the island. This year i have spent 70 with a few weeks left in the year with 7 trucks. Of course we have more customers however adding customers doesnt really change the efficentency of our business. So its made a huge difference for guys like me. Adding 2 vehicles and saving 12k doesnt take a n accountant to figure out that its a giant savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Columbia consistently has some of the higher prices for #2 diesel. (heating oil) FAS fuels in Victoria consistently has the lowest prices. Its worth calling around . Columbia will match prices if you quote them the competitions price.

Fuel prices in the Valley have been consistently $0.10/litre (or more than that) cheaper than they are here in Parksville/Qualicum. I am in the Valley every week and take advantage of it to fill up and save the extra $300 /year (and that is for the business compact car). We now do more of our personal shopping in the Valley too (instead of Always Nanaimo) and fill up the SUV there to save $$$$$ (because that thing is a pig on gas). In my opinion it is great for the Valley as it keeps more money in the community and also brings in more people to spend their money there. Hopefully it continues.:D

Update-- just topped up the boat for $1.099 (marked gas) at the Shell Station at Old Is highway and Headquarters Rd. Not great, but still worthwhile doing.

Back