Cold water rainbows

yes sometimes you can tune the hook with just your hands and if its really out you will need to use pliers.

What lake are you talking about Finished Business??????

according to the article, its called forest lake. sounds like its in your neck of the woods, maybe you should check it out!

Forest is worth the time. I will be trading a couple days on the chuck for it this summer. Maybe its a well kept secret, and you shouldn't check it out! haha

Tight lines and good luck!

Forest Lake is near 100 Mile House and is not the same kind of lake as Kootenay and is a long way away. Hopefully were talking about the same lake as there are several named Forest. The Forest Im referring to is more known for fly fishing and yes, some bigguns in there.

Also, trout will be higher in the water column in colder temperatures on the big Interior Lakes, not deeper, so downriggers are not necessary, although I like to try different depths just to keep the skunk out of the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
when the water temp get into the low 30's I do better on the downrigger than I do on the surface. When the water temp is between 42-55 I do better up top. Speed is a big factor and when I bucktailing on kootenay or okanagan doing a speed change up and down will trigger a lot of hits!!!

when the water temp get into the low 30's I do better on the downrigger than I do on the surface. When the water temp is between 42-55 I do better up top. Speed is a big factor and when I bucktailing on kootenay or okanagan doing a speed change up and down will trigger a lot of hits!!!

Hi JAC, you asked in another post to report back on our day on OK. Not a hit in 4 hours at all depths from 90 to 10 using all the usual suspects fishing Knox and Bear Creek. Water temp was 39 degrees. Does the temp get into the low 30s?

I am referring to the Forest by 100 Mile. There are many lakes in that area that offer some monster bow's. Beautiful, middle of nowhere lakes. One hell of a nice drive through the Fraser Canyon and along the Thompson, if you're coming from Fraser Valley direction. Well worth the trip, and fish. There are a few skunk lakes up there though that offer little to nothing.

The coldest I have seen the lake is 33.5 in the main part of the lake but I have had to break ice out of the marina before. Kootenay lake on the other hand seems to be a little warmer in the winter and colder in the summer that lake is join to a major river and the water is moving more. Okanagan is drained by the okanagan river which is pretty small. I would not be surprized to see water temps close to 32F when the weather is really cold out. When the lake get really cold the fishing get pretty tough okanagan lake only has Rainbow Trout. Kootenay lake has Rainbow and Bull Trout (Dollies) these fish love the cold water and the fishing for Bulls is best in the middle of winter or early sping.

I'm heading out on Okanagan tomorrow. Going to launch on the westside at gelletly. I'll be throwing everything I have at them. Oddly enough, I've had my best luck on the surface 300 ft behind the boat using a small Rhys Davis teaser head with a Batrix trout pattern stuffed in it. Nothing to huge but fun none the less on a flyrod.

Fisher Dude,

I have never caught anything on the baittrix but its good to here maybe I will give it another shot. I did best last week 100 feet on the riggers and trolling my lures near the bottom 107-120 sand bottom. I hope to launch in Summerland and will have my VHF on 68 do you have a VHF?

Went out this morning. Launched at gelletly just after Rod Henning. He went south, I went north. Marked a bunch of fish at the 140ft mark then the wind picked up and the wifey got sick. Called it a day with one hit at 57 ft On a purple/pink/blue #4 apex. Water went flat as I was leaving. A bit angry I was but got lots of humor after watching the wifey throw up over the side. Haha. I'm never going to let her live it down.

Sorry JAC. Don't have a VHF yet. It's a new boat to me. Still working out some kinks then I'll get a radio.

Rod bought a new thunder jet that has a alaskan bulkhead and it maybe a little longer then his old boat.

Went to spider lake today.....pretty slow......two on flies, nothing over 12"-14", tried flat fish and plugs Ect.. No bites

Had some luck the day before yesterday on Elk, caught two nice bows, 15 and 17" double header. The first hit was on my old rod and a F07 Perch rapala, then my new rod went off and I put down the first one to get to use my new gear for the first time. Landed a scrappy 15", released it and grabbed the other rod which had been slack for a while. Sure enough the fish was still there, landed it an even nicer 17" and called it a day. the larger fish always seem to like the perch pattern better. I have heard that this is because they are 3 and 4 year old stockies that are based on Ontario Genetics which are used to feeding on perch. The 15" fish was caught on a rainbow pattern rapala that I had rigged for the river with a single barbless hook. The new gear performed great, helped offset the buyer's remorse lol. Oh yeah and I was trolling much faster than I usually do, like 2.5-3 mph when I go the hits.

Back