Cold water rainbows

great info Rendraw!

A perch and rainbow imitation are two of the partterns I will be going for, with a sculpin as well. Going to try the black and silver speckled flatfish too.

Great report! Enjoyed the read for sure. Interesting on the faster troll..could it be due to our extremely mild winter thus far and the lack of temperature drops in the water??

went out again today from 2-3:45. nothing til the end when we were trolling past the fishing dock, and I said to my friends: "We've never caught one right in front of the fishing dock have we?....FISH ON!" landed a nice 17" rainbow on the perch pattern. Released it after a few pics.

Had some luck the day before yesterday on Elk, caught two nice bows, 15 and 17" double header. The first hit was on my old rod and a F07 Perch rapala, then my new rod went off and I put down the first one to get to use my new gear for the first time. Landed a scrappy 15", released it and grabbed the other rod which had been slack for a while. Sure enough the fish was still there, landed it an even nicer 17" and called it a day. the larger fish always seem to like the perch pattern better. I have heard that this is because they are 3 and 4 year old stockies that are based on Ontario Genetics which are used to feeding on perch. The 15" fish was caught on a rainbow pattern rapala that I had rigged for the river with a single barbless hook. The new gear performed great, helped offset the buyer's remorse lol. Oh yeah and I was trolling much faster than I usually do, like 2.5-3 mph when I go the hits.
. Hey rendraw.......where did you hear about the rainbows being of ontario genetics? Not saying your incorrect but as far as I know they all come from Duncan hatchery and are all the same British Columbia strain. They will also be taking perch do to the yellow perch inhabiting elk and beaver lakes. After a year or two they will see them as a food source and take advantage of the opportunity especially in the cold months when a lot of the aquatic insects are not available. On the other hand if they truly are an Ontario strain developed to help with the perch problem I'd be interested in knowing more about it if you could lead me to some info. Thanks

Our stocked Rainbows do not come from Ontario now or in the past. Bc Freshwater Fisheries Society stocks Blackwater River strain and Gerrards to eat Perch infested Lakes (or other lakes with Shiners for example)!or they just poison the lake to get rid of Perch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected :). A guy at Island outfitters told me the Ontario thing. Now that I think about it, it didn't make a lot of sense! Wonder where he got the idea. :confused:

caught one in front of the fishing dock two afternoons in a row. both nice rainbows about 17." Perch pattern strikes again :p

Did you fish the dock to START your day this time?

nope, launched at the rowers launch then did a lap of the lake starting on the highway side. Caught the fish around 3:45pm after the wind had died off. I had my lure at least 200' behind the kayak, took a long time to get him in. That's usually how it goes for me on Elk, no action for the first hour, then one or two nice fish and thats it. Probably has something to do with the larger lures that I run, and the fact that I'm only out there for about 2.5 hrs max because of the cold. I know I could run smaller lures and bait and catch lots more fish, but they would mostly be small recent releases.

Ren, a kayak fisherman? I've trolled a few lines behind my kayak but I find I'm always more concerned with my rods than I am to where the hell I am tracking! Paddling and fishing has its learning curve! I'm always concerned about that first bite and I end up rolling due to excitement...given the right season though I just may fight the fish on one breath upside down!! (I use a traditional kayak, not a sit-on fisherman style, so its really a HIM or ME situation!!) haha

went today again, got skunked :p yeah kayak fishing is fun, I use an electric trolling motor and run two rods, only rarely get tangled. The kayak I use is kind of a hybrid canoe/kayak sit-in, but with an opening wide enough for two people so I can fit a milk crate in front of me with rod holders and a transom of sorts for the trolling motor. it works great! I also have an aluminum boat but it needs some work to be less leaky. My two roomates also have a boat each :D so ya we fish a lot. Never enough though!

Me and a Bud worked Cameron hard over last weekend Sat/Sun. The weather was less than cooperative but we still were able to find flat water to troll. 5-6 hours on Saturday. Not a sniff. Bout the same on Sunday, not a sniff. Threw everything at them, both suggested and tried. Lake rigs, ocean flashers...

Thought there was always one willing to give it a go, not this time. Ran top water lures. Downriggers from 10-80 feet. Nothing.

Had a blast pounding the water on Sunday when it got real ugly. White caps with some 1-2 foot waves...lots of fun for the zodiac! We were the ONLY souls daring to step even close to the water.

Followed it up with 2 days on the local river systems...the rain settled that score as well...haha

Good times none the less.

Just love those C/R methods some of those charter boats on kootenay lk use. Lifting the fish by just there jaw. Try that for steelhead and see what the other fisherman or CO would have to say.

Headed to elk on Sat. Any info or reports for the last few days? Going to try some different methods then I usually do.

-Steve

Back