Cold Smoked Pink Salmon

Alot of people knock the poor pink me personaly have no issue with them BUT and this is huge BUT u have to care for your fish!!!! I have a cold water pump that directly goes into my cooler and I bleed all fish and put sea water on them every 30 mins or so it make any fish a better product BLEEDING is important and keeping them clean ICE is even better .
I have cold smoked them and hot smoked them they are both good way . Spring as you know has the highest fat content thats why everyone loves springs. comes down to what you like I think all our salmon are good and we are lucky to be able to have it right in our backyard playground..

I bleed them and gut them immediately and put them on ice. Part of the bad rep I believe comes from Commercial fishermen who had neither the time nor the crew to immediately gut and bleed them when they had large catches. They don’t keep well and are subject to belly burn if not gutted quickly so not the best for the commercial industry. Like Wolf says if you care for them properly they are fine, just have some special requirements.

i’ve never understood the pink hate. we are
so spoiled here in bc. people eat farmed salmon and shrimp rings which consist of something farmed in ditches and tilapia and other junk, yet we have this lovely little salmonid that people hate for no reason.

i remember when i was 13 or so fly fishing for pinks in the estuary of the Oyster River. man that was so much bloody fun. coming home with four salmon. my boys love catching them in the CR

i’ve never understood the pink hate. we are
so spoiled here in bc. people eat farmed salmon and shrimp rings which consist of something farmed in ditches and tilapia and other junk, yet we have this lovely little salmonid that people hate for no reason.

i remember when i was 13 or so fly fishing for pinks in the estuary of the Oyster River. man that was so much bloody fun. coming home with four salmon. my boys love catching them in the CR
Some coastal folk take this further, lots of distaste when we interior dwellers talk of catching salmon in the rivers. I'm lucky enough to be able to fish the salt several times a year, but most of us don't have the time or the money. Those river openings are special times these days and, for many, the only chance they get at catching a salmon near home. As evidenced by 70-80 boats already out on Osoyoos Lake at 6 am, hunting for sockeye that weigh just 3-4 lbs and limited to 2 a day. Surprisingly fresh coloured though and firm bright meat.

Digression over! I too love a fresh pink on the BBQ. Immediate gut, bleed and ice is a must.

Back