Smoked Octopus

Rain City

Crew Member
Didn't do anything differently than my hot smoked salmon. Amazing. Try it. Credit goes to my azzhole buddy that suggested that "we" smoke some salmon together. There wasn't a lot of we going on, but he did insist we try this.
20230919_152250.jpg20230919_151321.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. What’s the texture like? And brine? No brine?
Yeah dry brine just like the salmon. Texture was firm but not chewy. Some sections were actually quite tender. Not rubbery at all. The smaller tentacles have a nice little crunchy bark almost, with a tender inside. The bigger pieces we sliced thin, it was all amazing. I'd go with a little less smoke next time. I bet tossed in a salad with some olive oil, shallots and parsely would be delicious.

Last edited:
Yeah dry brine just like the salmon. Texture was firm but not chewy. Some sections were actually quite tender. Not rubbery at all. The smaller tentacles have a nice little crunchy bark almost with a tender inside. The bigger pieces we sliced thin, it was all amazing. I'd go with a little less smoke next time. I bet tossed in a salad with some olives oil, shallots and parsely would be delicious.
Did you just add the puss to the brine without boiling it first? Love octopus but mostly have used them for bait.

This is interesting. wonder how it would be if you did exactly that and then sliced them and pickled them...

Looks tasty

Last edited:
Ophelia restaurant in Vancouver does it sous vide and then finished on charbroil grill.
I'm sure you could grill these up to finish them. Same idea, it's just low and slow cooking to tenderize.

This is interesting. wonder how it would be if you did exactly that and then sliced them and pickled them...

Looks tasty
100% what I thought a soon as I tried them. Slice then and dress like an Insalata di Mare or a crudo. That's where I think a lighter smoke would be better. These would be perfect as small chunks on a plate with some toothpicks and pint of something cold and fizzy.

100% what I thought a soon as I tried them. Slice then and dress like an Insalata di Mare or a crudo. That's where I think a lighter smoke would be better. These would be perfect as small chunks on a plate with some toothpicks and pint of something cold and fizzy.
Exactly. Light smoke, slice, jar and pickle. My friend does this without the smoke in a red wine and it's absolutely to die for. A little smoke might be real nice. Your right though, you don't need much. The pickling might take away some of that smoke flavor also. Be worth a go

Back