Coho Speed

kph? kilometers or knots per hour?
Measured over the surface with gps or off the boats speedometer/depth sounder reading.
Been wondering the same thing myself. Had some success keeping it between 2.7 and 3.2 knots ph, but strikes usually occur in the midst of a turn.

I have been using my GPS to track speed which is measured in kilometers per hour. Is 3 kilometers per hour too slow?

I would say 3 Kilometers per hour is way too slow for coho and using your GPS isn't really as accurate as you would think because of currents, using a boat spedometer or the angle of your downrigger cables as a guide is much more accurate. also getting hits in a turn can help you figure out the best speed, if you get a hit on the inside of the turn you are probably going too fast if the hit is on the outside you have been going too slow.

3 kph is probably a little slow, try going to 4-5. I also use the GPS to estimate speed but you do also need to pay attention to the angle of your lines too because of the currents. If you have some slack water find what rpm you need to do to achieve your 4kph and use your tach to set your speed. If you don't have anyway of determining your speed on water the tach is the next best thing.

The speed you fish for springs try that and then go a little faster keep changing speeds you will find a happy spot in which they bite one speed sometimes doesnt work you have to always be changing things out there!!!!!!!be it speed gear depth thats the joy of fishing YOU are hunting these fish!!!!!

Wolf

I don't know if it matters to you or not jimbob,but I would hazard a guess that your gps will tell you speeds in km/h. mph and knots per hour. It's just a matter of choosing which setting you want. Marine applications are in knots per hour. Then again fishing is different and you could use whatever setting you wanted.

How many more variables are there though?
More speed gives you more action
Flasher to downrigger distance; longer less action, shorter more action
Terminal leader again longer=less action, shorter=more action
Angle of downrigger line...how heavy is your weight, how many rods you're stacking? Are you going with or against the current.

Exact science? I think not[8)]
Did I miss anything?

quote:Originally posted by Time

kph? kilometers or knots per hour?
Measured over the surface with gps or off the boats speedometer/depth sounder reading.
Been wondering the same thing myself. Had some success keeping it between 2.7 and 3.2 knots ph, but strikes usually occur in the midst of a turn.

Knots per hour? What is that supposed to be, since one knot is one nautical mile per hour?

Gypseas that sounds great on paper but applying all that to practical takes time and effort thats like me saying to you

"use anchovie and you can catch big springs just throw it down there"

There are MANY factors in catching different species of salmon especially BIG springs.(ask danthewire)

fishing can be easy and can be extreamlly difficult at the same time the trick is to apply every factor and PRODUCE every time your out and trust me it isnt all that easy!!!!!!as you probably know its called fishing for a reason and if not it would be called "CATCH"

FYI and knot is 1.1 mphs not enough to worry about jim that for sure

Wolf

Wolf you are correct 110% its not as easy as it sounds on paper.
BUT.....and with all respect, Sir, you make it look so easy[8D]

We've all been watching Sooke Report this year, and I can tell ya that I've been looking forward to coming home to log on and see what Wolf caught today. And I don't know if it takes years of perseverance, the perfect formula or just the Magic Touch some call it Luck[8][8][8]

Cheers
vic

Point taken but I have studied fish for a long time and I keep records of everything it may look like it is easy for me but I really really work at it alot For the last 20 years I have a spreadsheet that I have personally made which has about 60 things on it I fill out after every trip and then I look back at it and see how i can improve my fishing success!!! yes it is anal but I think it helps me out alot.also being out there helps just put in my book that I trolled over 700 hours this summer chasing springs!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the kind words Wolf

quote:Knots per hour? What is that supposed to be, since one knot is one nautical mile per hour?

This is off the topic of trolling speed for coho but seeing how you asked El Pescador. One nautical mile is based on 1 minute of latitude, ( 60 minutes= 1 degree)so if you are travelling at 1 knot(short for 1 knot per hour) assuming no wind or tide you would travel 1 nautical mile. A nautical mile is longer than a statute mile 6076 feet compared to 5280 feet. Power Squadron info. As for metric, who cares, it doesn't relate to marine applications

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

I am wondering if I have been trolllin too slowly for coho at 3 kph. Any thoughts?

Hi Im Chauncey McEachern im new to the BC sportfishing site chatroom thing ive fishing since i was 3 years old and i am 15. Coho like a very fast troll try fishing at 5kph what are you trolling are you bucktailing or are you trolling a hootchie or spoon or bait?
Let me know and i will be able to help you out. But i wouldnt say your trolling to slow it depends on what area your in or depending on the fish.
Best Regards Chauncey

Aww.... Wolf, my heads hurting,you made me think too much,Gypseas here's just a little of what I've done last 3 trips out.Coho seem too like more speed,okay, so I dropped 15 lb balls down cause I know I'm going faster so I know my downrigger angles are diffrent,the 10 lb balls hang back too much,more speed on the gear,diffrent swivels on the gear.I've used one Rod as a control rod[gear that I know works for coho]So i can compare the results. The other rods I've tried oh maybe 7 or 8 different flashers{I have about 80 to choose from]I've tried 10 or more diffrent hootchies.I've trimmed some of them,pulled every other tassles off of some of them,cut some of the hi lite colors off some of them,removed the eyes off of some of them,inserted glow heads in some,black hooks,chrome hooks,shorter leaders longer leaders,well you get the idea.I have found one that is a diffrent color and showed some promise,i'm going to experiment with that one next time out.Also trying different anchovie heads. By expermenting and trying new gear out, I stumbled across some really good setups for sockeye and pinks that I passed along to the board,although I found one that was even better for sockeye,I'm keeping that one for myself.Anyhow getting back to what Wolf said,you do have to put the time in,and keep track of what is working,and when you stumble and get frustrated ask for help.So going back to the original question jimbob asked,the simple answer is, I think thats to slow..DAN

quote:Originally posted by daddystoy

quote:Knots per hour? What is that supposed to be, since one knot is one nautical mile per hour?

This is off the topic of trolling speed for coho but seeing how you asked El Pescador. One nautical mile is based on 1 minute of latitude, ( 60 minutes= 1 degree)so if you are travelling at 1 knot(short for 1 knot per hour) assuming no wind or tide you would travel 1 nautical mile. A nautical mile is longer than a statute mile 6076 feet compared to 5280 feet. Power Squadron info. As for metric, who cares, it doesn't relate to marine applications

Hi, Daddystoy,

I don’t think this is off topic, because we are discussing trolling speeds for coho; and in order to achieve the correct speed we must know which units we are talking about. I am not trying to start an argument, but I think that a correction to your statements is in order.

In nautical terms a “knot” is a unit of speed, not of distance: 1 knot equals 1 nautical mile per hour, which equals 1.852 kilometres per hour. Therefore, a boat may travel at say 3 knots, but not at "3 knots per hour". Strictly speaking, a "knot per hour" would be a unit of acceleration, not of speed. When it comes to expressing speed, "Knots per Hour" is a senseless expression used by some landlubbers, but that should be never used by seamen or boaters.

In short, if we are to use the correct terminology regarding a boat’s speed (which I believe we should), we should be using the term “knots”, and never "knots per hour".

Of course, I admit that “knots per hour” could be a valid expression if, instead of boats, we were talking about rug weavers. :D

A knot per hour is a speed just like a mile per hour and a kilometre per hour. It's just that when speaking in nautical terms for speed we say "my boat cruises at 20 knots" Which means it travels at 20 nautical miles per hour. We don't say the per hour with knots whereas with miles per hour and kilometres per hour the expression is "My car can go 200 miles per hour" same with kilometres per hour. So knots is a speed not a "unit of acceleration"???

quote:Originally posted by daddystoy

A knot per hour is a speed just like a mile per hour and a kilometre per hour. It's just that when speaking in nautical terms for speed we say "my boat cruises at 20 knots" Which means it travels at 20 nautical miles per hour. We don't say the per hour with knots whereas with miles per hour and kilometres per hour the expression is "My car can go 200 miles per hour" same with kilometres per hour. So knots is a speed not a "unit of acceleration"???

Daddystoy,

A "knot" is a unit of speed</u> defined as "a nautical mile per hour".

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0139.shtml

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070731075922AAU50CO

Therefore, a "knot per hour" would be "a nautical mile per hour per hour", which is not</u> "speed" but rather "acceleration". I trust you remember from physics that speed=distance/time; and acceleration=speed/time, which means acceleration=distance/time².

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/wadefine.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/knot-speed

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Nautical Mile

http://www.solarnavigator.net/knot.htm

http://www.secoenergy.com/stormterms.html

Again, there is no such a thing as "knots per hour": it is simply "knots".

http://powerboat.about.com/od/boating_ed/a/Whatisnaut_mile.htm

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Knots_per_Hour/All

(read comment by Wilson Stone about "knots per hour")

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Knots_per_Hour/All

If you still have some doubts about this matter, you may want to type "knots per hour" in Google and draw your own conclusions. Also, you can read modern text books about Naval Architecture, Ship Construction, Seamanship, Meteorology, Aeronautics, Boating, etc, and you will never</u> find the expression "knots per hour" unless the book has been written by someone who has no clue about the subject.

Just pissing in the wind waiting for a chance to go fishing?
This thread doesn't auger well for the winter's postings to the board when none of us are getting out and are starting to get hairy.

Original question; " I am wondering if I have been trolllin too slowly for coho at 3 kph?"

Responding query: "is kph Kilometers or knots per hour?"

Peskador is belabouringly right. Should have phrased it "knots or kilometers per hour". Apologies for the lack of nautical knowledge.

Jimbob: try 5 - 8 kph on your GPS, slower speed when going against the tide/current, the faster when going with the current.

quote:Originally posted by Time

Just pissing in the wind waiting for a chance to go fishing?
This thread doesn't auger well for the winter's postings to the board when none of us are getting out and are starting to get hairy.

Original question; " I am wondering if I have been trolllin too slowly for coho at 3 kph?"

Responding query: "is kph Kilometers or knots per hour?"

Peskador is belabouringly right. Should have phrased it "knots or kilometers per hour". Apologies for the lack of nautical knowledge.

Jimbob: try 5 - 8 kph on your GPS, slower speed when going against the tide/current, the faster when going with the current.

Time, thank you for the clarification. I intend to go fishing for coho this coming week (weather permitting) and I want to make sure that I will be trolling at the right speed. So now that I am clear on the speed units we are talking about, I will be trying 2.5 to 4 knots.

Back