Coho Derby This Weekend

Was gonna go for the day, but a long trip to get blown off the water. Good luck guys.

We're going to give it a rub,hope its not that rough,going to hit the rack now, up at 5, Renfrew at 7, wait for the tide give her a shot and see how we do.See you guys there.DAN

Heard it was nuts out there...pretty windy. My dad went out with a buddy of his in an open 17fter...I'm sure that was an adventure and a half. Huge grand prize isn't there? Wish I was back in BC to go out there too!

David

T'was a wee bit sloopy, my buddy was'nt liking it to much, so ended up in the bay pretty slow in there one good hit and some shakers.DAN

Just back , main motor troubles , was off of Bonilla and out about 3 miles , water really ugly in my 18ft , took several over the bow , finally picked up and started in , thats when the 115 started missing , ended up with the 4 stroke down to assist the big one to make it home , had three hits , one big one ; all got off and then fished inside the bay for a couple of hours 3 small coho(largest 8lbs) picked up crab traps(5 keepers) and headed in..... opposite the old government wharf at around 1:30 in the afternoon water was alive with coho jumping.

Cheers

AL

Unfortunatly, I (Myself and my fishing partner), missed out on 10 grand by 3 ounces in the last hour. Too damn bad, ah well. I wasn't second place, I was first loser LOL!. Great fishing far out there, near the US border, bait was on fire. Plenty of action, I'm getting nice box of big ol' hooknosers ready for smoking and sandwiches. Weather was a bit better further out, whatever anyone does, be carefull. Great season, I'm going to stick it out for a few more weeks.

Lastchance

Oh well next time , I didn't think many would even make it out today. Thanks for the report back.

See ya next year.

Esora

Esora , you should talk to R M he was moored at the bands wharf opposite the Gordon River and ask him about the flood that came down and tore the floats free , sank one boat and holed 3 others , tossed some boats right up onto the floats and then the whole works let go.
No fishing on Sunday morning as far as he knew ; claimed there was 15 ft breakers over the sand bar at the mouth of the river , I think my motor problems saved me from some serious agony here !!!

AL

that apparently happened this year....my dad was also going to go out but couldn't because of the flood and log jam. Sounds like it made for an interesting, and devastating, day for some.

David

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Esora , you should talk to Randy Mutch he was moored at the bands wharf opposite the Gordon River and ask him about the flood that came down and tore the floats free , sank one boat and holed 3 others , tossed some boats right up onto the floats and then the whole works let go.
No fishing on Sunday morning as far as he knew ; claimed there was 15 ft breakers over the sand bar at the mouth of the river , I think my motor problems saved me from some serious agony here !!!

AL

Er, that's an bit of an exageration I think LOL, there were 3 foot breakers at the mouth of the river at the worst of it. Myself and a few other guys did very well fishing Sunday morning, the weather was not bad other then the rain.

BJ's dock DID break free, but no, the waves in the bay didn't get anywhere NEAR that high. I got out just before BJ's let go, when it did, there were a few guys on it. I heard the mayhem on the radio, and drove by one of his docks going past Owen point on it's way to Japan. Some boats were damaged, but the only "sunk" one I saw with my own eyes was up on the sand bar near the campsite, and it looked like it went down more so because it was full of water then anything.

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

that apparently happened this year....my dad was also going to go out but couldn't because of the flood and log jam. Sounds like it made for an interesting, and devastating, day for some.

David

It made a few long faces, yes, but like clockwork, every year, the first big rains of the fall wreck something, I don't know why the natives don't pull the dock the second week of Sept like the dock society. I'm not sure what flood and log jam he (Your dad) is talkin about unless he was going to drift the river, the fishing is hot, and the marina is open for business, and the bay is usually plenty calm for fishing.

Heading for Port Renfrew tomorrow. Hard to tell from the posts if the river is navigable and if you can launch at the First Nations ramp. Can anyone advise me?

Back