Cleaning boat hull

Ghostprof

This is my first year keeping our boat (lil' Double Eagle) in a marina. We've had it in the water for about 10 weeks and it needs cleaning so we pulled it out to do the job. Does anyone have tips, tricks, best ways to go about this? What has experience taught you to do -- and not to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is my first year keeping our boat (lil' Double Eagle) in a marina. We've had it in the water for about 10 weeks and it needs cleaning so we pulled it out to do the job. Does anyone have tips, tricks, best ways to go about this? What has experience taught you to do -- and not to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
We usually pressure wash the bottom and use some soap and water in a bucket, scrubbing with a brush, if needed.

Give it a quick rinse with about 10% bleach right after you take it out of the water. Then pressure wash it.

If you don't have bottom paint you should haul out at 4 weeks maximum to do a bleach/power wash at a car wash. If you leave it in longer you will have to deal with barnacles.

Bleach from a garden sprayer then pressure wash. For stubborn stains use toilet bowl cleaner,its cheap at the dollar store and a scotch Brite pad. Lite pressure on the pad and rinse. Trust me it will come out like new

Lots of caustic cleaners out there that will easily remove the brown stain from below the water line and it looks like new again. However they do remove the natural wax from the gelcoat which means that the stain comes back faster and more pronounced the next time. I use a cleaner , then polish and wax afterwards where I can reach, which helps.

Any advice for rust stains around stainless hardware?

I use Vim for most stains including light rust. I will use the same caustic cleaner for heavier rust stains. Sorry don't remember the name of the stuff...mine is a commercial product that I get from one of the local fiberglass repair businesses. They use it to remove stains so they can properly colour match repairs.

I use Vim for most stains including light rust. I will use the same caustic cleaner for heavier rust stains. Sorry don't remember the name of the stuff...mine is a commercial product that I get from one of the local fiberglass repair businesses. They use it to remove stains so they can properly colour match repairs.
Do you have to neutralize products like that? I destroyed my Bayliner with brake clean and vim over the years. Stains came back in hours ten times worse.

I use the vim on stains as I'm washing the boat with soap and water...but yes all cleaners should be rinsed off with fresh water after using.

Had access to a boat shed a few years back. No bottom paint on my boat and I was nervous about growth on my hull. I asked around and some people suggested using diaper cream on the bottom. I didn't want to deal with that greasy mess so I didn't try it. I decided to try a layer of wax that I let glaze up as a barrier and it actually worked really well. Left my boat in the water for 3 months without having to pull it out for cleaning. Even after 3 months of being in the water I still had a layer of wax on most of the bottom and no growth. Was super easy to clean and I just used a rag to remove the remaining wax. Being in a boat shed probably helped a lot though so not sure how well it would do in full sun.

For tougher stains and grime (deep rust stains are a different subject) use a Mr Clean magic pad. It has a very light abrasive that will make fibreglass like new. I would recommend a coat of wax after to re-seal the gel coat. It’s cheep, no chemicals and works

Do you have to neutralize products like that? I destroyed my Bayliner with brake clean and vim over the years. Stains came back in hours ten times worse.
Anything high on the acidic scale will need to be neutralized with something equally high on the alkaline scale. water is pH neutral and will only rinse the product away; not neutralize

edit: oops i’m dead wrong. read below

Last edited:
Anything high on the acidic scale will need to be neutralized with something equally high on the alkaline scale. water is pH neutral and will only rinse the product away; not neutralize

so something with ph9 on the acid, neutralize with ph9 alka

you owe me a beer. or chicken
ummmm………..no

Back