Clean boat title?

burnsy22

My father in law is looking at purchasing a new/used boat. Is there any way to check if there are no outstanding liens or financial issues with the boat? Ie. checking the VIN or something else.

Thanks

If you have a friend in banking they are able to check on-line for boat's in BC and if you are looking in the States it depends on what State. I know in Washington I phoned DMV and gave them the VIN and they told me who used to have the loan on the boat and that it was paid off...

hope this helps
Bru

The boat is in BC. You have to know someone in the banking world to find out? Has to be another way no?

I'm in banking and we always check for liens when using anything for security on a loan. In order to check for liens you have to have an account with BC online which is the registry system for liens in the Province. We have a password and get charged for every search we do. I would think car dealers/Travel trailers also use this system when cars/trailers get traded in to check for liens. The problem with boats is they have 3 VIN's trailer, Hull, and Motor. I know some banks only register a lien on the trailer hoping the boat always stays with the trailer.

Damm Leftcoast, I figured bankers got it for free because my banker never told me different... Guess I better go get her some wine. :p
Good thing Im too broke to buy another right now

Bankers love wine and beer. I'm sure your bank has made a lot of money off you at some point. Interest isn't free it pays my wage.

Back