Chum Gear

has anyone had any success fishing chums on the north island,
have tried for last three years with verrrrrrry limited success, fish all over the sounder, jumping, using the same gear that if have had success at browns bay,
any advise?

Had decent success in Satellite, When there are a decent amount of fish around. Green Hotspot with light purple/pink hootchie and the black/pink hootchie.

Just curious, what do you guys do with all those dead chums ?
I have tried it bbqd, smoked, etc. too oily & soft for me.
even indian candy was mediocre.

Are you trolling RS????

Its all about the handing and preparation.

http://www.ats-sea.agr.gc.ca/sea-mer/4799-eng.htm

There is no such thing as a bad or tasteless wild Pacific salmon... you just have to learn how to prepare and cook them.

( and BTW-- they are not oily. They have the lowest fat content of all Pacifi salmon. )

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey RS, I was with you on the chum thing until I smoked up a batch this past week and it was outstanding. I used 1 cup each of kosher salt and brown sugar to one gallon of water, a little Whorechester, dark rum and a lot of pepper. Brined it for 18 hours (I did use a little sodium nitrate as well to ensure proper curing) then let it sit on well oiled racks for a couple of hours until the pellicule formed nicely. Used a Bradley smoker with 2 hrs. at 100F, 4 hrs. at 120F, 2 hrs. at 130F and the final hour or so at 140F.....[^] SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Nope, no troll or hijack intended Cuba :D
my buddy bought a tote of commercial caught chums and sent
the majority off for processing.
Finished product looked nice, but after eating Springs,coho
sockeye it was not comparable.

Take your fresh caught Chums to "Campbell River Seafood" and have them hot smoked or made into Candy, you will not be disapointed. Tight Lines,............BB

For my family it goes like this for eating:
#1 sox
#2 ho
#3 chum/spring TIE
#4 pink ugh

We have caught many chum now off Nanaimo, you just have to search them out.
Depths are always 30-80'.

Sockeye gear, slow.

Smiley.

Back