Chum Gear

twinwinds

Not asking for your secret lures but some advice on how to catch these things ..i usually use the same thing i use for sockeye which is a pink hoochie with the same leader length.
but there must be something better......
Cheers and good fishin!

purple purple purple...straight forward setup is a purple hot spot, running with commercial hootchies combined with spin/glo - I always used the J300 and MB100 - large black hook with pinks & blues (Tyee Marine will help you out in CR). The key is trolling dead slow - to the point that the flasher barely rotates (around 1-1.5mph)....this was never fail up in Campbell River - hopefully that's where you plan on fishing them...Sooke they are sluggish (apparently piles were at Otter last week, but no biters), and Saanich Inlet of course is very difficult to entice a strike as they are pretty much in spawn mode.

Have a variety of hootchies w/pink and some purple or black on them.
Try some different flashers. But #1 rule is go slower than you think is slow enough.

well i assume you are way too early there - they come into the river 2nd week of November so I assume aren't around at all until late October....its also a tough go - many people have tried to tempt them into biting down here, but no luck at all. If you find a way to get them to bite, make sure you post as I'd then be willing to break out my gear and give it a try.

I know they fish for them right near the river (skokomish?) in Hood Canal down in Washington. Might be able to find out what they do down there to get them to bite while they are stacking up....

I've heard that as Chum get closer to their spawning creek or river, or cruising close to the beach, they can be had on a jig/anchovey/herring fished below a float. Here are some posts I found on another forum in the US. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to give it a try. If it works it would be a blast on light spinning gear!!! Anybody ever had success catching Chum this way??

Slabby

______

If you want chromers stay away from the creek mouths and try to intercept the fish before the reach their destination.As already said small fire cracker herring below a float works well along the beaches.I usually use a sliding float with a bead chain as the bottom stopper,3ft of leader to a barrel swivel and another 3ft of leader to the 3/0-4/0 solid tie.I have found the chum to like a really slow presentation they don't like a tight spinning cutplug such as what you would use for Coho but prefer they bait to kind of just be waving back and forth in the current.Be prepare for a viscous strike at times they will hit your bait like a freight train.

_____

I use a similar rig, Firecracker herring 3-4" long cutplug (but sometimes whole) on a 3/0 4/0 solid tie (trailing hook hanging free) about 3' to a barrel swivel, 4 splitshot above the barrel and a sliding Thill bobber with stop on the line above to whatever depth I am fishing. They do freight train it leaving absolutely no doubt it is a hit. The splitshots just help it down without twisting and act as a bead for the bobber. Cast to them and sloooooow retrieve back. I use a spinning rig for that kind of fishing, but that's just me. I use 15 Izor mainline and 20 or 25 leader...they do have some teeth on them.
_________

If you want a fun time hooking a lot of fish, Find the shallow migration routes of chums and do the Anchovy/float. or real small herring and float.

Basic setup is a mooching leader on a slip bobber maybe 3-4 foot leader.

Anchor ahead of where the fish are finning and cast out and just let it float with the current.
______

I rig them whole, and use a little weight to get the leader down. Sometimes its only a split shot.

The herring basically just dangles there, as I freespool it out, so theres no action at all on the bait. after its out there 60 feet or so, I reel it in and do it again. Its just like drift fishing in a river.
______

bobber, bobber stop, swivel 1/5 oz lead, 5 foot leader, 3/0-4/0 hook, and an anchovy.... Game ON!

From Salmon University [8D]

8/0 hook
tkl_michael_bait_mb181_320.jpg

9/0 hook!
tkl_mini_sardine_f54r_320.jpg

kidphotors6.jpg

9/0 hooks ?????? Hey-- we arnt talking sharks here!!! [8D]

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I have been catching CHUMS with anything from brass /orange crocks,vibrax,silver or gold colorado's, all have been hitting on the nitnate.

Green, red or purple with bronze flasher. 36-40 inch leader with a hot pink or pink and white hootchie. Worked well for the Chum derby this year.

Reel Chaos

has anybody consistently caught chums anywhere but the CR area? It seems like they bite like crazy up there but anywhere else on this rock they have lock jaw?

And are those brown's bay chums, are they CR fish or mixed stocks?

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

Reports are that a couple of anglers are doing well outside the Comox Bar where the Puntledge chum are staging. Anyone else hear this??

The chums in Johnstone Strait are very much mixed stock. They start coming through in late Sept and continue into mid November

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

There's a stack of boats cruising up and down there today but I haven't had the chance to try them out myself.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

We had a hard time figuring out the best gear because they hit eveything we threw at them. Green haze, purple and green w/bronze flashers all worked. Mp15, sockeye w/glo-bud head and even a pink hootch w/spin'n'glo and 4'leader [:0] all worked. oh yeah, if you think you are going too slow go slower. :D

LET GO OF THE REEL!!!

Fishing chum around Sooke is hit and miss from year to year. Some years they seem to bite and many guys are getting 3 or 4 a trip. The next year the odd guy gets 1. Dead slow and purple has been the best for me when its a biting year.

Back