chovie heads

weasonedog

I am going to add some wire to my chovie bait holders and have a few questions, how long do you make the wire ?was thinking between the dorsal and the tail also does it make any difference in what wire you use

Cheer's
Tony

Most guys use a wire length that fits there bait size ,some guys i know like to get the wire as close to the end of the tail in order to give it that option of bending the tail over ,up ,down etc ,can be very effective ,i have a varaition of sizes to match the different baits i use ,they sell the stainless wire with the chovie heads now but all generic size i get my stainless in a roll make my own

Same as Optimist but I use galvanized wire. Rolls of it are cheap at Home Depot. The heads seem to wear out before the wire so I don't bother with stainless. If I have heads that are still in good shape at the end of the season with tired looking wire I cut it off and put on a new piece.

Thank-you for the info, when inserting the wire do you start it at the gill plate or in front or behind and then run it down the lateral line

Tony

I've used stainless quite a bit but have gone away from it the last few years-I must be getting better at brine making or something-always have a few wired heads on hand if I can't get them to roll right!

Can you guys explain how you attach the wire to the teaser hd? I've been thinking of giving the wire a try myself.
About the head...When do you guys turf them out? I know the coho chew pretty bad, but is there a point where you think they aren't as effective.
Thanks guys...

Hey tasu....have a look at the link I posted.

If I recall correctly some teaser heads come with the holes sort of "started" but likely still to thin to get the wire through?

Hey Pippen. Totally missed that link, was too busy chuckling over your comments in the Blackhawk thread :)
Checked it out and that's just what I was looking for...
Thanks.

Back