Chirp

reelfast

the Dragon Fly is now installed on REELFAST. what a hassle to get this product. Ray, it would seem, overhyped the product and then could not deliver on the orders. oh well, its a done deal at this point and i can hardly wait to see how it works. with the forecasts for JDF not looking too good, i don't know when i will be on the water to give it a go.

the Dragon Fly is now installed on REELFAST. what a hassle to get this product. Ray, it would seem, overhyped the product and then could not deliver on the orders. oh well, its a done deal at this point and i can hardly wait to see how it works. with the forecasts for JDF not looking too good, i don't know when i will be on the water to give it a go.

That's a cool unit. I checked it out in Seattle and quite a few folks have been talking about it. Which transducer are you using? The Simrad Chirp capable transducer is like 4 grand:eek:!!!!

They have packaged this unit with a matching transducer to use the down vision feature. It's a combo GPS with sounder and down vision sounder.

I got it as a backup setup, with charts about 700.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368592778.340224.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368592793.010881.jpg

Transducer is like 8" long.

John you don't need this your lowrance stuff is better, you got a nice setup.

I was just wondering about the chirp capability of the unit is all. I think you need a really expensive transducer from what I have read. Raymarine is gucci compared to my lowly Lowrance stuff Todd lol:p. One day I will upgrade to Simrad........one day.

I just read up a bit more on that transducer that comes with the unit. Pretty amazing that they can pack that technology into a package like that. Looks like it's good to 600 ft. Those Simrad and Furuno ones are 3kw transducers and can pick up bottom at 10,000' lol. That would be a big difference. Any whoo let us know how it works. Post up some screen shots if you can as well. Look forward to any reports.

Cheers,
John

Exellent article,bigbruce. Breaks down CHIRP technology really well so that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to
understand it. Thanks for the link!

just back from putting REELFAST back in the water and running over to my slip in the marina. had the dragonfly turned on. without an external antenna, the GPS is losing its bearings and setting off an alarm. i'll have to see if i can silence that one. had the fish alarm turned on and running the sonar and as i was entering the marina, it went off showing a zillion small fish suspended. my C80 would have never displayed this detail. then i turned on the downvision as i was putting along to my slip. when i turned in and was jockying to get her straight, the fish alarm went off again. after i tied off, i came back and stared at the screen. flat on the bottom was something, a fish or a crab or who knows what, but flat on the bottom. its only 14' deep at the slip so i will be very curious to see if the sensitivity is that astonishing once we are searching for halibut this coming weekend.

Back