Charting Software

Adrian

I have been using an open source (free) charting program that works incredibly well. It also has great support. You just need to upload your own electronic charts.

If you are interested and have a netbook or laptop for your boat: http://opencpn.org/

The program even has AIS compatibility.

I have been using an open source (free) charting program that works incredibly well. It also has great support. You just need to upload your own electronic charts.

If you are interested and have a netbook or laptop for your boat: http://opencpn.org/

The program even has AIS compatibility.

Interesting, will check this out. I am curious about AIS in particular....that would be excellent to add on to a chartplotting program...add a radar overlay too, and that's be awesome. Appears an AIS receiver is about $500 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can purchase a GPS adapter that plugs in to your laptop for 42.99 out of Calgary. Locally they are going for 119.00.

Most handheld GPS units will plug into a laptop or a netbook (usb gps) so if you already have a handheld there is no need to buy a new GPS.

A search for cm93 in google and some "other" sites will provide some interesting info if you don't have electronic charts

Toothy

Got it installed and running today on the computer, this is great thanks! Was able to (cough) *find* charts for the ENTIRE PLANET.
I have a usb gps antenna at home im going to get hooked up and try it out this weekend. I have been using garmins nroute on my laptop as a chartplotter with the gps antenna for the last year, but these charts have much more detail in them (although the garmins look much better with more colors and features/graphics).

if anyone wants the charts to use for their own laptop system or the link/how to download them pm me. Ide be happy to show you how and help you out to get your system running. Much better than spending 1500$ + on a chartplotter in my opinion, although an actual chartplotter is nicer on the boat but for the money saved why not! i bought a 300$ netbook last year and it has been great, along with a 50$ gps antenna im in $350 overall. I am going to build a mount to hold my laptop to the dash this year though, as last year i would have to run to the fishing spot then set it up as i had no way of keeping the laptop in place when running.
photo.jpg

another couple screen shots. the amount of detail you can show is changeable, i have it turned right down otherwise the view just gets too cluttered with shipping lanes, underwater cables, lights and beacons, etc etc.
again, i was able to get this level fo detail worldwide. The last screen shot is a zoomed out view of sydney harbor australia!
s1.jpgs2.jpgsydn.jpg

Sounds like a great setup. Do you guys know of any program out there that will let you run the navionics cards on your home pc without having to purchase the navionics card reader? Be nice checkout the charts for planning a trip etc...
Thanks, Chuck...

NO i coulnt get them to work. I bought the navonics charts a few weeks ago so could get more coverage than my garmin charts were giving me, but i cant get them to sync and go into any software to run a gps off them.
FYI these chaertsi got called cm93 have as much or more data in them, but just look more old school with milder colors and graphics.

I just downloaded some cm93 charts and loaded them into opencpn and they look ok, but I'm not getting any text to show... got any ideas?

at the top tool bar on the main screen theresa button with an "A+" on it, click it.
You need to go through the help menu.

Back