Charter costs-- from the operator

Cuba Libre

This response is in answer to a comment from a guy wanting to go fishing in New Zealand and complaining about the $300 NZ/day charter costs. I thought that some of the guides here might relate! :D

quote:Originally posted by ENP

And I've looked into hire of boats for the day but it's insanely expensive ($300+ a day)

You have obviously never owned a boat! $300 per day for anything half decent is insanely cheap. Have a quick think. Some guy wants to charter out a 6.5m boat.
Cost say $80k

Annual costs
Interest $9000 (boat loans are typically 12% - 13% interest rate)
SSM $1000 (cost to keep a small boat in commercial survey)
Maintenance $3000 (assuming no damage and lots of owners time for free)
Depreciation $8000 (approx 10% per annum for charter boats)
Insurance $1000
Marketing costs $1000 (if doing it on the cheap)
Overheads $2000 (phone, internet, stationary, accountant etc)
So total 'fixed costs' are around $25000 per annum
Add to this approx 2 hours of labour for each booking to brief the client, get them away, clean and check the boat upon return etc. Say $50 per booking for labour @ $25 per hour (you learn to work real cheap in the charter industry).

A 6.5m boat chartering around Auckland would typically get 40 - 80 days of work per annum. If you market really hard, you might get 100, but I am not sure if anyone has achieved this. Lets say that the owner gets lucky and gets 80 days of bookings.
Fixed costs are $25k, so divide this by 80 to get say $310 per day. Add your $50 per trip and assuming some trips are multiple days, the cost per day is now say $340. This is with the owner running the company, doing his SSM stuff, and doing all the paperwork, marketing etc for free.
Bottom line is that any hire under $500 per day is not worth doing on that boat, but moaning bloody clients won't pay $500 "because it is a rip off" so the poor owners typically do it for less than cost until they get some fool blowing up the engine or smacking a reef and finally realise that chartering out boats this size is a fools game. They then sell the boats and move on to a better life. This is the history of this business in Auckland.

Now lets look at it from the clients perspective. It must be heaps cheaper to buy a boat than pay those rip off charter guys!
First thing you do of course is decide you only need a boat that is half the value of the rip off charter boat so lets say you spend $40k. You won't have the same capabilities, equipment list, safety, or comfort, but that doesn't matter because it is your boat!

Annual Costs
Interest (either paid or lost) $2500 (lets say ~6%)
Depreciation $2500 (6% - 7% is typical for private boats over a long period)
Insurance $500
Maintenance $1500
So assuming that you do quite a lot of your own maintenance, that you don't have any major failures, that you don't need to pay for storage, that you really did need to buy and drive that 4x4 even if you didn't have a boat etc etc, your cost of ownership is ~$6500 per annum. Don't bother adding in any cost for your time because that is irrelevant, right? You really enjoy cleaning your dirty boat and fixing trailer brakes etc.

SO if you go out 22 times per year in your old/little $40k boat it will be cheaper than hiring that over priced nice shiny, bigger, hire boat from that rip off merchant who cleans it for you after you cover it with Kawhai blood and squid bait. He also doesn't mind fixing the gelcoat chips from your clunky tackle and where you drove the boat up onto a stony beach so your girlfriend wouldn't get her jeans cuffs wet. But then again, he shoudn't bloody complain for the amount he charges AYE!
www.dreamboats.com
Bareboat Charters - More Options, Less Cost, More Time, More Fun on the water

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Where did he get a quote for $300 for a day of fishing. My Sooke day rate (10hrs) is $800, a lot more for Nootka. Who in there right mind is going to get up out of bed at 4am on a Sunday, give up the entire day, include your boat and equipment in the deal, all for maybe $200 after expenses? Are you joking!

LOL guess thats what happens when you don't read the entire post. Makes more sense. Guess he relates car rental to boat rental...thinking should be about the same.

What are you talking about pro fisher half the sooke fleet is 300-450per day.

I know your not but there are lots that are until they have a breakdown.

Man I cant leave the dock without spending $2-400.00 , Im yhinking of selling my boat and just getting a guide when i go. The buddys seem a little more willing to ante up on a charter than, at the fuel dock when we get back!!!! 800.00 a day is pretty cheap when u add up what it costs to own and maintain a boat.

LOL well I thought most were at least 500 for a full day, thought the 300 was a 6 hr trip where you get a 5 minute ride to Secretary, hootchies only, radio off so you can't hear whats going on a few miles away, no coffee and a glad garbage bag if you catch anything. Yep no wonder so many guys left for Renfrew where you can at least charge enough to make a living. The guys down here think they are doing well because they are on the water every day from sun up to dark. I know its not how many times you fish, but what the books say is left at years end that counts.
The funny thing is these guys don't understand why I don't give them the time of day. They come in and low ball to take work away from you, keep the market screwed up, then expect you to be friendly and help them on the radio. LOL

Guiding is like a number of different industries. Some consumers want a luxury package that provides full services and are willing to pay the price. Others want a "no-frills" package which amounts to a boat, driver and an assortment of gear. Others will prefer to simply rent a boat and gear themselves. Nothing wrong with any of that.

The confusion or conflict usually occurs when the "no frills" operator markets himself as full service, or, when the consumer does not understand the difference between full service and no frills -- or the guide doesn't understand Accounting 101. IMHO, survival of the fittest usually wins out -- the guides who understand the service they offer, how to price it, market it and keep the clients coming back are the ones we generally see year after year on the water.

As for not helping one another -- I understand your rationale -- "low cost guy is my competitor so why should I help him be successful". However, just some food for thought -- isn't it better for the guiding community to create a buzz (in general) about an area to attract more clients for everyone? If clients of the low cost guys in Sooke (as an example) come back skunked time and time again, yes, its unlikely that he will get their repeat business, but it also leaves people with the impression that there are no fish is Sooke -- they tell others about their negative experience (people are much more apt to tell friends about negatives than positives) and reputation for the area (in general) suffers.

Look at the example of Campbell River. Someone years ago had the bright idea of marketing it as the Salmon Capital of the World. We know it's not, but for visitors to our Island looking to fish, its very appealing. As a result, there are loads of guides, lodges, charters, rentals etc that service everyone from the highest end client to the guy who wants to rent a small boat with his kid.

Anyhow, I'd say suck it up and take the high road. I've been on too many charters with guides who badmouth other guides, swear at them on the water, and generally act unprofessional and I go out of my way to not go back. Act like a pro, treat others like you'd want to be treated and I assure you, you will be rewarded in many ways.

TenMile
<'((((><

TenMile your close to rite and if evryone was the same pice thats how it works get everyone catching fish and the word gets spread.But if i call el cheapo over for a hot bite and they come get some fish why would they want to pay the going rate but if i'm on the dock with a tub full and they see that maybe next time there going to pay to fish with some one thats on the water every day.

SAying this i still try and help everyone but i can see where some one might think like this.

A few months ago, I calculated my own operating costs to be $87/hr for the 2009 season. That included fuel, repairs, moorage and misc expenses based upon 150hrs of use (I'm just a weekend warrior, not a charter guide). Depreciation over 10 years adds another $35/hr.

For me last year was (hopefully) an anomaly as I had 2 large repair bills. Averaged over say 3 years, the expenses would probably fall to $50/hr + $35 depreciation.

TenMile
<'((((><

35 per hour depreciation 150 hours per year for 10 years = $52,500. Your boat's probably worth more than this and maybe you're allowing a residual value.

Not for this to get too depressing and not sure if you included this:
The "big" kicker is opportunity cost. $52,500 stuck on your mortgage or some investment (not in your boat) at an average of 5% over the next ten years =$2,600 per year (never mind compounding, we'll spend it as we go.)

I'm sorry...[:p]

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

A few months ago, I calculated my own operating costs to be $87/hr for the 2009 season. That included fuel, repairs, moorage and misc expenses based upon 150hrs of use (I'm just a weekend warrior, not a charter guide). Depreciation over 10 years adds another $35/hr.

For me last year was (hopefully) an anomaly as I had 2 large repair bills. Averaged over say 3 years, the expenses would probably fall to $50/hr + $35 depreciation.

TenMile
<'((((><

Bananas is right the only way to beat the "el cheapo" is with consistent catches and making real efforts to put fish in the boat. I've done way more than my part in promoting the town of Sooke as a fishing destination over the 24 years. But business is business. That doesn't mean get the customer at all costs though. As an example...I've had guys way more than once who when I get back to the dock with a big catch of springs wait until I'm done with my clients then ask if I'm available the next morning. I noticed they had fished with another guide from our dock that day. I always refuse them...I tell them I'm sorry but your a customer of so and so's and I don't want to step on toes. If they noted my phone number and called me down the road and booked dates, that is fine. But I don't scoop someone else's customers, period.
One thing I learned years ago that if I answer the phone and the first question is how much do you charge, I might as well hang up. I've never had one of those persons book a trip. Shouldn't the first question be how is fishing right now? If its sh&*tty I'll tell you so and save you going for a 300 dollar boat ride with el cheapo!!! LOL

Had to throw in one more point. If I do give information about fishing , when asked...I always give a straight up answer...no Bull S&^T! Some of the others who might appear to be more "PRO" because they "Yack" all the time, are nothing but Bull Sh&tters!! :D I would rather say nothing than lie and purposely lead someone astray and screw up their attempts at catching a fish.

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

35 per hour depreciation 150 hours per year for 10 years = $52,500. Your boat's probably worth more than this and maybe you're allowing a residual value.

Not for this to get too depressing and not sure if you included this:
The "big" kicker is opportunity cost. $52,500 stuck on your mortgage or some investment (not in your boat) at an average of 5% over the next ten years =$2,600 per year (never mind compounding, we'll spend it as we go.)

I'm sorry...[:p]

Well, I don't think any of us own boats because its a financially savvy thing to do :)

Only guy I ever saw make money off a boat was my father-in-law. Got a Grand Banks in the mid '70s for about $20K and sold it 5 years ago for $130K. Figures he didn't actually make money, but probably covered his costs for the 30 years he owned it.

TenMile
<'((((><

I think the boat cost formula is: what ever you paid for it new, if you keep it 10 years you will spend that again.

it is interesting that the prices in BC and AK are higher than i have experienced in such fish intensive spots like baja and costa rica. OTOH, guided trips in the FL keys are about on par with what you folks charge.

a week in the nootka area, pick a lodge, for one person is equivalent to what i would pay for two people at a very nice lodge in CR. are salmon so special that folks want to pay double?

Back