Changing starter on a Yamaha 9.9 4 strock

capman

I believe the starter on my 9.9 kicker is done. Checked the fuel, the battery, and even the trim which moves the engine up and down all work. I do a little bang on the starter and then it cranks. My question is how difficult to change the starter. I'm not a mechanic and since there is no mechanic around me has time to replace the starter, I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Very few of those starters fail...they do stick and the gear won't go up the worm gear to engage the flywheel. Take it off and take it to a starter rebuilder to check out...cheaper to fix than replace. Brian Roberts Electric in Victoria does good work. Easy to remove and put back on...anyone can do it.

Very few of those starters fail...they do stick and the gear won't go up the worm gear to engage the flywheel. Take it off and take it to a starter rebuilder to check out...cheaper to fix than replace. Brian Roberts Electric in Victoria does good work. Easy to remove and put back on...anyone can do it.
Thank you Profisher. I'm in North Van. Will try to find someone locally.

I would reccomend western starter on Mitchell island. I know it's a bit of a drive from the shore but the guys there are straight shooters. They could test it and fix it if needed. Give em a call.

I would reccomend western starter on Mitchell island. I know it's a bit of a drive from the shore but the guys there are straight shooters. They could test it and fix it if needed. Give em a call.
Thanks so much, I’ll give them a call

I believe the starter on my 9.9 kicker is done. Checked the fuel, the battery, and even the trim which moves the engine up and down all work. I do a little bang on the starter and then it cranks. My question is how difficult to change the starter. I'm not a mechanic and since there is no mechanic around me has time to replace the starter, I'm thinking of doing it myself.
No big deal bolts are usually 20 ft-lbs. The electrical like 2 ft lbs or less dont tighten these much past snug I light tap done. Starters are cheaper than a bigger outboard where they can be 500-600 dollars. So just buy a new one.

No big deal bolts are usually 20 ft-lbs. The electrical like 2 ft lbs or less dont tighten these much past snug I light tap done. Starters are cheaper than a bigger outboard where they can be 500-600 dollars. So just buy a new one.
$95 to rebuild one at Brian Roberts and they stand behind their work

X2 . Been using these guys for 30 + years. Really good guys! Ive had them rebuild various diesel and gas engine starters . Never had a bad job done.

We’re all your connections clean and tight.

Back