Changing my style

barblessbob

Hi All, I'm new on the forum but not to fishing. I started river fishing for sockeye and sea-run dollies in Haines Alaska with a spinning reel and graduated to center-pin float fishing for steelies and salmon in BC's rivers. I find lately that a day of fishing leaves me pretty tired and sore. I have my Pacific Steelheader listed on the for sale board. I'll be keeping my old Avon Royal Supreme, though.:)

After watching those those whiz-bang fishermen with their level-wind reels effortlessly cast across the river I figure it's time to give myself a break and join the crowd. What I've decieded on is a Daiwa Coastal Zillion reel. I want to be able to fish both river and ocean with the same reel. I like the features and the price isn't too bad.

The part I can't figure out is the rod. It's gotta be suitable for the river and that to me means 10' at least. Am I barking up the right tree? I know some guys use short rods but I don't know why? I'd like a rod that's good in the salt too. Any recommendations?

I'm open to any thoughts you have about any of what I'm doing here. I've been in the same groove for a lot of years so new info is welcome.

Bob

[O3id-Fb8ooY] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3id-Fb8ooY

But in all seriousness, Welcome to the board :cool:

I like the Loomis units-a tad stiff maybe and not cheap but very easy to use all day.

STR 1265C is 10'6" rated for 10-20# and I've landed all kinds of large fish with it-even used on the downrigger from time to time with no issues

My combo for "effortlessly casting across the river" has been a shimano Calcutta, paired with a 10'6" "Algonquin" rod..... Have tried higher (priced) end rods, but this one is a perfect all rounder. Has pulled some monster whites out of Harrison/vender, but still has enough action to make the smaller fish fun. Rod was purchased years ago, not sure if brand is still around. Calcutta can still be had, and when everything is adjusted just right.... You can cast across the river, super smooth and good drag (reels require upkeep, but minor and worth effort)

I personally could do without the long 10+ river rods. I've been considering downsizing to something similar to what a bass fisherman uses. Small baitcaster with a 8' rod. On more than one or ten occasions I find myself restricted with a 10' rod on some rivers. A shorter light-medium action rod seems like something that would allow me to get into those nooks and crannies a little easier along the rivers shore. I would use the setup in the salt, likely when we see a school of coho's or pinks and quickly want to get a cast into the group without fumbling around with a long 10' casting rod.

Yeah I laughed at that one Dave.

But he said whiz-bang fisherman.... not me.

I hope his husband knows that PMS symptoms go away 1 or 2 days after the menstrual cycle starts ;)

And yes... 10 ft at least if you are flinging a float... The shorter rods work well with out. Calcutta or a Luna or.... a modded ambassador will make you a whiz-bang fisherman too :D

I like my pin tho

Last edited by a moderator:
My was having the same problem after a day on the river so I got her a 9 foot G Loomis and a shimano curado 300e. She has landed pinks steel and coho with it and its as light as a feather.

Enough cheap shots riplipper..OK?

I (we, the center-pin traditionalists) always called the thumb-burners whiz-bang fishermen.Or maybe I originated that term, I'm capable of making up good names for people, you could take as a warning:) All is meant in fun.

That is a good point about using a long rod float fishing. That's one of my favoured methods of fishing so Why didn't I think of that? Don't answer that.

Enough cheap shots riplipper..OK?

You burnt me first..... and it was a good'un :D

But... OK.

And in all sincerity welcome to the board.

Pins have their place just as the thumb burners. I wouldn't choose reel just because it is capable of fishing the salt cause most are. You didn't mention where you are... That would make a big difference in the reel you should choose
cheers.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Kamloops but it's not that long of a hump to the Chilliwack in season. The Thompson offers up some good fishing but I like to be able to eat at least some of what I catch. I get to the Island most years and like to dip into the salt when I can. So...I want be to as versatile as possible. Understand where I'm coming from?

So you are talking the the T or the Fraser. I would second the Calcutta 400's, the Abu 6500 series, or look at the similar size luna's

I have never fished a Zillion but through google.. I don't think it would meet your needs. Looks like a nice bass reel though. :D

Yeah I would agree with LR. Calcutta 400 combined with a Sage 4110 (4 power 11 foot) would be ideal for the Thompson and Fraser. That rod may be a little oversize for the Vedder. Drop down to a 3106 (3 power 10' 6") with the same reel and your're set for the Vedder/Chehalis/Harrison and most of the Northern flows. I guess you can tell I am a sage fan, but that is because I like to build my own rods and they offer some terrific blanks in those sizes.

Don't do much Fraser fishing. Mostly it the Chill for steelies.

I was looking at Luna 300 and got side-tracked by the Zillion mainly for the salt water thing. I did like the Luna and have heard good things about them.

Don't think I'd want to be whipping an 11' rod around the Vedder too much although it would be nice on the bigger rivers.

Back