Changing impeller 2010 9.9 Honda

Bennie

Hi, has anyone changer impeller/ water pump and thermostat on a 9.9 Honda BABJ 160 series.
Thanks,Fred

Probably too late, but yes I've done it. It was super easy. Downloaded shop (not owners) PDF manual for $7 (paper one $50). Got parts cheap from iboats.com to my door. Found any other tips needed on marineengines.com forum under Honda outboards. Both jobs, impeller and thermostat will only take an hour, and you'll only really need a 10mil wrench or socket and some grease. Advice, don't just buy the impellor, get the whole water pump kit (new cup and housing too). That way any wear from old impeller in housing or cup won't influence new impellor (1 millimeter of wear matters). Only $30 if I remember correctly? Biggest thing on that engine is the sensitive carb. Old fuel NO GOOD. Also, use carb drain screw to drain fuel from carb if sitting for more than a couple of days. Old fuel sitting in there will layer varnish in the TINY ports and jets creating problems. Rebuilt my carb too, a little out of my comfort zone, but marineengine forum was EXCELLENT.

Thanks I went on u tube, was easy to do. The cost of thermostat and impeller,o-ring at local Honda dealer was over $100. Good advice on draining carb. Regards

Yeah I got hosed by Honda dealer for parts too, then returned everything after realizing how much cheaper iboats is, even after shipping. Difference in carb float valve and jets was ridiculous!

Back