Duty on parts from Japan?

Morty

Bottom line: has anyone bought from Japan, and is there Canadian Duty?
It's time to rebuild the water pump on my Honda 225 OB. The full kit is close to $400 from Honda Canada. eBay.ca has genuine kits from the US at around $250 Cdn shipped free to Point Roberts, But direct from Japan the kit is $165 Cdn Free Shipping (but a 3 week wait)

Thoughts?

It's time to rebuild the water pump on my Honda 225 OB. The full kit is close to $400 from Honda Canada. eBay.ca has genuine kits from the US at around $250 Cdn shipped free to Point Roberts, But direct from Japan the kit is $165 Cdn Free Shipping (but a 3 week wait)

Thoughts?
I have a 70’s Honda motorcycle and I’ve ordered parts and tools from Japan and never paid duty. But I might have just got lucky. Sometimes not paying duty is like winning the lottery.

Thoughts?
I can’t imagine big duty for engine parts but really it is the luck of the draw with Canada post. I tried a quick Google for you but gave up. Still saving 12% tax on over 200

I’ve done well with eBay for Honda and Yami but not oem.

Who are you ordering with from Japan?

Thoughts?
I bought some reels from Australia, thought the ebay thing may skip the taxes and duty.....but sure enough Canada Post arrived at the door looking for 60 bucks tax and duty COD. Bit of a gamble I guess, but it was still cheaper in the end.

I can’t imagine big duty for engine parts but really it is the luck of the draw with Canada post. I tried a quick Google for you but gave up. Still saving 12% tax on over 200

I’ve done well with eBay for Honda and Yami but not oem.

Who are you ordering with from Japan?
Just checked, and the seller is Steprise. Everythin on their "store" is genuine Honda.

I took a risk and placed the order. A 5 to 9 day delivery from Tokyo to Vancouver option was available for $15 so I added that.
Will try to remember to update this thread after the parts arrive.

Thoughts?
You’ll likely get nailed for GST and PST. As for duty it may be covered by the new agreement Canada signed with Japan. Call Border Services to get the official ruling?

Just 2 hours and already have a shipping confirmation and package tracking number.
Man, Canadian businesses need to take note. Pressure suppliers for lower pricing and have good online ordering systems. The government should also take note, we are losing jobs, due to us dealing with paperwork and not having the capacity to do things like get online and negotiate with suppliers/distributers.

Awesome communication as well. The parts were in Cincinati Ohio at about 8AM today already. (less than 24 hours from order)
Now the North American system kicks in - lets see what happens next. ??

Arrived already!! 36 hours :)
Ordered 8PM Sunday evening and parts here in hand 1:35 Tuesday afternoon.
No duty, juts GST PST and an $18 Customs Broker fee. $229.54 all-in
- from U.S would have been $240 +GST PST and a drive to Point Bob to pick it up.
- from Honda here in Canada $400+

Thoughts?
Was this from eBay? No of the local guys have any in stock and expect Honda to only get them parts for the new year. I expect everything to be delayed with the volume of Xmas packages but with luck something from Japan might be quicker.

Was this from eBay? No of the local guys have any in stock and expect Honda to only get them parts for the new year. I expect everything to be delayed with the volume of Xmas packages but with luck something from Japan might be quicker.
They were an ebay seller. The seller's name was STEPRISE

google steprise ebay stores

Back